Repairing a laptop dc power jack

• TsX
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I received a laptop with broken power plugin. After soldering the piece back together, I tried to plug it in to see in the LED for charging would come on, but had no luck. My only thought was maybe it needed to be fully assembled to "complete the circuit".

Of course I can check this myself, but in case it still doesn't work I will be back to the soldering iron. This is my first attempt at soldering a power plugin back onto a laptop motherboard, so I'm just looking to get some feedback from people who have done this before.

Maybe I need to replace the entire piece? As it is cracked...

Thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you have any way to include some photos ?

When you say "cracked", I start to wonder if one of the PCB channels is severed. When you say "first attempt at soldering a", I start to wonder if you used too much solder and inadvertently shorted the lead to something else.
  • willjackson
  • Born
  • Born
  • willjackson

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think it would be best if bring you laptop to a computer shop for repair, i think if you continue on this one if may create a bidder problem on the laptop.
  • TsX
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Took me awhile to find my digital, but I finally managed some pics.

First one here is the back side and the solder job I did. Its a little hefty, but I figured I should be able to test it at least. No luck. Also I wonder if those top 2 spots are possible connections? I didn't see anything from the jack that suggested it connects there.

This here is the topside, you can see the crack in the plastic. I added some crappy glue to hold it together while I was working on it. I read that I can buy this piece for cheap, usually on ebay.

This last pic I circled little spring loaded gold plates. These are what made me think that maybe the laptop needed to be assembled for a complete circuit to be made. I guess its more likely they are just there to keep the keyboard lifted from the motherboard.

@willjackson This is a learning process, and something I feel capable of doing. I'd rather learn how so people can then pay me to fix it. :P
  • TsX
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I actually found the piece online:
http://cgi.ebay.com/DL91425-OEM-LAPTOP- ... 3402wt_911

So there was definitely some piece missing for those two connections on top you see in the first pic. Not bad for $10, definitely ordering the new part.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

The positioning of those gold plates in relation to the CPU make me wonder if they're there for some kind of support for a CPU heatsink, or maybe something to do with a temp monitor considering they're gold.

I have a feeling that once you get that piece and replace the broken one, it's going to turn right on.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just last week I replaced the jack for my friends laptop. We had the hardest time getting it to charge while we had it apart. Once we put it together everything started working again. When we had it apart the screen wouldn't turn off (We had all cabled connected), and the charging light would flash instead of stay solid. Try just completely assembling it and see if it works. The only other thing I can suggest is to make sure you have a good connection at the soldering points.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are busted power jacks something that happens often ?
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you use your laptop in your lap a lot (strange I know) the power jack can break or come loose. Its mainly the inside connection (inner pin) and not the actual connection to the motherboard. It causes the power cord to be loose and not make a good connection. With my laptop I can usually position the cable in a way that it will charge, but its relatively flimsy.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was never too fond of using a laptops in my lap. I used mine on desktops and tables, I just had the laptop because it was portable. :D

The mention of positioning power cords in a certain way brings back memories though. I couldn't tell you how many Playstations, Nintendos, etc we had break due to people walking through and pulling them off of entertainment centers. For some reason they would always seem to land on one of the cable connections.
  • cooljoe04
  • Born
  • Born
  • cooljoe04

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have replaced several different power jacks on laptop motherboards, some have been with a manufacturers replacement, some with some stuff I rigged up from our local Radio Shack eqivalent store (where I worked for years and did this while I worked there too). Its definitely a PITA (pain in the ass) to get it all torn apart with like 500 little screws and back together in the right order, but i concur that you should probably get it put back together before applying the power again.

Looks to me like you did a good enough job on the soldering. The only thing I saw about it was based off the shape of it, just make sure you get both the metal from the pin and the metal from the soldering pad on the laptop hot enough AT THE SAME TIME so that when you touch in the corner of the two with the solder it will wick into and around the pin. You want to get the pieces of metal hot then apply solder, rather than melting the solder with the soldering iron which makes a "cold" soldering joint and will pull/break loose the first time you flex the connector with the power cable.

Only other possibility I could think of is, A.) is this the correct power supply for the computer? (IE Is this what came with it?) If not, the polarity of the power supply may be incorrect, meaning that the pin in the middle may be positive when it should be negative, and the outside may be negative when it should be positive for example. The other possible problem with an incorrect power supply may be not enough or too much voltage, or not enough amperage (or wattage depending on how its rated on the power supply). But I wont go into that...just mentioning it in case this isn't the right power supply.

Let us know how it goes.....
~Joey
  • timothyericson
  • Born
  • Born
  • timothyericson

Post 3+ Months Ago

When power circuit will happen means it will be affect the laptop dc power jack?
  • gblondie
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • gblondie

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was wondering if maybe you would know what I would do about my power pack possibly being too much for my laptop? I can never seem to keep it charged.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts