Will This CPU Give Me Better Gaming Performance?

• jondaviskorn
  • Born
  • Born
  • jondaviskorn

Post 3+ Months Ago

currently im using 2.26 ghz celeron d (prescott) my friend is gonna give me his P4 2.26 Ghz Northwood will this processor give me alot better gaming performance? also im running a girlfriend 6600GT AGP , one last thing will the intel fan that came with the celeron be enough to cool the northwood? thanks guys
  • davidaus
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • davidaus
  • Loc: Indo

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not sure about the speed produced by those two. You should test it first. But i think it won't make much difference. Change your vga and increase your memory should be better.
  • jondaviskorn
  • Born
  • Born
  • jondaviskorn

Post 3+ Months Ago

change my vga why? just got a 6600gt lol also im running a gig of ram
  • davidaus
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • davidaus

Post 3+ Months Ago

Then every thing should be enough to run a 3d games.
  • jondaviskorn
  • Born
  • Born
  • jondaviskorn

Post 3+ Months Ago

its ok but when alot of stuff is on screen in certain games it slows down alot and i feel this is the bottleneck of the celeron d
  • davidaus
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • davidaus

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't think your proccessor caused that. Every proccessor running above 2 Gg is enough to run any 3d games, unless your computer is a game server :). It might be your memory. Try adding it!
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

nah he has 1gb already.

Celerons are different from P4s. they have more cache and stuff. A P4 will run faster than a celeron of the same clock rate. However, check to make sure that you've got the FSB speed set right.
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

The P4 will definitely speed things up.

Celerons are considerably slower than Pentium 4s.

Here's a good benchmark to compare CPUs: http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/2004122 ... #directx_9
  • jondaviskorn
  • Born
  • Born
  • jondaviskorn

Post 3+ Months Ago

nice but those benchmarks dont include the celeron d's which are big improvement over the regular celerons
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Wiltshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

davidaus wrote

Quote:
I don't think your proccessor caused that. Every proccessor running above 2 Gg is enough to run any 3d games, unless your computer is a game server . It might be your memory. Try adding it!

Thats not true,my Athlon 64 runs at 1.8Ghz normally, it will SMOKE any Celeron and most P4's below 3Ghz. Nowadays clocks speed doesnt really matter, the float point, memory bandwidth and cache makes more of a differance. Go ahead put the P4 in, everything will certainly run faster.

*plum*

//Edit, i put Fload instead of Float
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

*plum* wrote:
Thats not true,my Athlon 64 runs at 1.8Ghz normally, it will SMOKE any Celeron and most P4's below 3Ghz. Nowadays clocks speed doesnt really matter, the fload point, memory bandwidth and cache makes more of a differance. Go ahead put the P4 in, everything will certainly run faster.

Agreed. CPU architecture makes more of a difference than clock speeds. I've yet to hear of a Celeron that runs faster than a Pentium 4.
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

i would love to see someone overclock a celeron with liquid CO2 just to prove you wrong :D

(and yeh there is a point in that)

it would take one hell of an overclock to pull it off, so yeh, the celerons are basicly stupidly crippled p4's
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Wiltshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

If i had a Vapochill i would go out and buy a celeron to see if i could get it to 5Ghz, but currently i dont :roll:, ive heard of celerons at 4Ghz which would be very funny to see how they performed.
  • Mav06
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Mav06

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have a 2.3 celeron and that about a 17p4 in comparison so i would assume that that would do a better job. I just ordered a 3.2p4 and i can't wait.

matt

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts