Windows restart.

• ImmortalDuck
  • Student
  • Student
  • ImmortalDuck

Post 3+ Months Ago

Every once in a while, usually once or twice a day, my desktop shutsdown and restarts itself. Any way to fix this? It's getting very annoying.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: London Town , Apples and pears and all that crap

Post 3+ Months Ago

The whole computer shuts down or windows explorer?

XP is set to reboot when theres a system failure, this can be turned off.
Start > controll panel > system > Advanced > startup and recovery settings.

Youl need to provide more info about when this happens, Things you are doing when this happens for people to have a better idea about the cause. Theres no single reason why this would happen and the turning off "reboot on system failure" is by no means a fix.

//edit

I just noticed your thread about your clicking computer.
These two issues could possibly be connected.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Like meman said, more info would be helpful. This used to happen to me when I would try to access Word or Excel documents on an old Novell 5.1 Network share. I finally got too irritated and switched back to Win2K Pro from XP SP1 and never had a problem again. I still to this day don't know the root cause though.
  • ImmortalDuck
  • Student
  • Student
  • ImmortalDuck

Post 3+ Months Ago

The whole computer shuts down. This started happning to me a few days ago, never before that. And it doesn't really seem to be what I'm using. I've used multiple things I've used in the past tons of times and only now does the computer randomly shut down.
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is it actually shutting down, as in logging you off, and powering down the system, or is it just shutting off suddenly like the power went out?
  • ImmortalDuck
  • Student
  • Student
  • ImmortalDuck

Post 3+ Months Ago

Shutting down like the power went off.
  • Arcath
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: New England

Post 3+ Months Ago

how old is the PC? posibly a bad power supply?

Is the CPU fan spinning normally? slowly? making a noise? If the CPU overheats it could shutdown on it's own, but usually starts giving you blue screen abends first.

Do you see a message from windows saying 'windows is shutting down' or is it fast like when you hit your reset button?
  • Bgnn32
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Bgnn32
  • Loc: Western Mass

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was also thinking power supply that would probally be the first thing to check, you can get a power supply tester for $20 or so, just check around if you have a local computer store (not Best Buy or Circuit City but a REAL computer store) they should have them.
  • ImmortalDuck
  • Student
  • Student
  • ImmortalDuck

Post 3+ Months Ago

It shuts down like right when you pull the cord out of the power outlet. Should I get a power supply tester from Staples?
  • ImmortalDuck
  • Student
  • Student
  • ImmortalDuck

Post 3+ Months Ago

Update: Now that I've payed additional attention to it, it mainly only shuts down while I play a video game. Now does anyone know if I can fix it?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

My best guess is you are having a problem with your video card or the driver. My second best guess would be that you are getting a paging error in memory. The problem with troubleshooting is, that kind of shut down gives no opportunity for your event log to write an entry making it difficult to troubleshoot.

There is another possibility though, and now that I think about it, even more likely than the first two I mentioned. Are you overclocking your processor? Your computer will respond exactly like this if your processor overheats, and I suspect this is not an uncommon problem with gamers that overclock. (Unless they've taken cautionary steps for cooling). Even if you are not overclocking, the game still may be working your processor to a slow death.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

btw -- what game are you playing?

Although this list is not all-inclusive, it will give you a reference to see if there are any known conflicts with the game and XP

XP Software compatability
  • ImmortalDuck
  • Student
  • Student
  • ImmortalDuck

Post 3+ Months Ago

I play World of Warcraft, MMORPG. I just updated my drivers. Should I just turn my computer off after I've gotten everything done? (Usually, I just leave it on.)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well -- A reboot may or may not help. Some program installs need it, some don't
  • ImmortalDuck
  • Student
  • Student
  • ImmortalDuck

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you want, I can turn the "Restart on error" Off and tell you what it says?

As in, when the blue screen pops up when I get the error, I'll tell you what it says.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

The only way to know for sure is to know what error. That would be helpful
  • ImmortalDuck
  • Student
  • Student
  • ImmortalDuck

Post 3+ Months Ago

What can I do to find the error?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Event Viewer.

Look primarily at the system log, but also at the application log for any errors that occured at the time of the problem.
  • ImmortalDuck
  • Student
  • Student
  • ImmortalDuck

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you by any chance have MSN? It'd be alot faster than this. [/img]
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I understand it would be faster ImmortalDuck, but it has long been a policy among the moderators that we only answer on the boards. You have no idea how many have read these posts later and had their similar problem solved.

I'll try to check in on this frequently to answer as quickly as possible. In the meantime others may be able to assist as well. Besides. I'd have to take the time to look up the errors and possible solutions anyway, so MSM probably wouldn't be much faster
  • ImmortalDuck
  • Student
  • Student
  • ImmortalDuck

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ahh I see. Well, could I possibly be having the same trouble as http://ozzu.com/ftopic24789.html?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I hadn't looked that one up before, but I recalled it and that's why in my earlier post I suggested about the processor getting too hot.

There's a variety of ways you can check your processor temps and usage. One that I use is PC Wizard 2004
http://www.cpuid.com/pcw.php

You can monitor that off and on while you play your game. If you see it maxing out frequently at 100% and see your temps rising, that is probably going to help you narrow it down.
  • ImmortalDuck
  • Student
  • Student
  • ImmortalDuck

Post 3+ Months Ago

It shows my temp. varying from 85-95 Degrees Farenheit while I play it.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

That would be only around 35 Celcius, but just to double check are you sure you're reading Farenheit? Normally I see temps measured in Celcius. If those temps are actually Celcius readings, then you are WAY too hot.
  • ImmortalDuck
  • Student
  • Student
  • ImmortalDuck

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, I'm using HDD Temperature, and I have it set to read on Farenheit. Switched to Celcius for a moment and it was at 29 Degrees.
  • ImmortalDuck
  • Student
  • Student
  • ImmortalDuck

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bump.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Crap. Thanks for bumping this. Sorry. I forgot about it. I apologize for the other tool. If your motherboard is supported this tool will measure your temps:

http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=311

Just had a friend show me that when we were working on this the other day and I forgot to come back here and post it. My apologies.

// The temps show in systray so you can monitor them while you play.
  • ImmortalDuck
  • Student
  • Student
  • ImmortalDuck

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ahh, no problem. I'll try this tomorrow, for now I'm going to sleep.

I'll post what happens after I use it while playing my game.
  • twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

This definetly sounds like a overheating problem. Could this becaused by a file loading it self into memory too many times? My processor used to overheat when I had the stock heatsink on while playing games. If you can take the side panel off and run your games. This can sort of tell you if its heat. If you built the computer yourself i would suggest reapplying the thermal paste between the processor and heat sink. Amd has some pretty good videos on processor installation and heatsink installation. I'd check it out just for learning.
  • ImmortalDuck
  • Student
  • Student
  • ImmortalDuck

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well this didn't happen since I posted my last message. Now it did, and I think it's overheating too. Should I open up my side panel and have a fan on right next to it?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 51 posts