Windows XP: Secondary Hard Drive problem.

• Terran82
  • Terran82

Post 3+ Months Ago

Basically when I turned on my computer today and I went to My Computer one of my HDs (which I've had working for months) wasn't there. Here's what I've done so far:

- Checked to make sure it was plugged in.
- Turned the computer off and on just to see if it might fix it's self
- Checked in the bios to see if it was there, it is
- Went into Administrative Tools--->Computer Management--->Disk Management. Disk 0 (my 2nd HD) is not there at all, it starts at Disk 1 (my main HD, C Drive)
- Went into Device Manager and found my 2nd HD (Maxtor 6Y200P0), in Properties' General Tab in insists the device is working properally and that it is enabled. In the Volume Tab however it gives me the following readout when I click Populate:

Disk: Disk 0
Type: Unknown
Partition Type: Not Applicable
Capacity: 0 MB
Unallocated Space: 0 MB
Reserved Space: 0 MB

I've been told this might be fixable with a Windows XP CD unfortunately I can't find the one that came with the computer so ideally I'm hoping their might be a fix that doesn't involve one. Thanks for any help you can give.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• unstopabl3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • unstopabl3

Post 3+ Months Ago

What exactly do you have on the second disk which windows isnt recognizing ?
  • Terran82
  • Terran82

Post 3+ Months Ago

unstopabl3 wrote:
What exactly do you have on the second disk which windows isnt recognizing ?

Windows isn't recognizing the HD at all. I can't access anything that's on it.
  • X3ndou
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: New Jersey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Get some sort of a partition manager for dos. Start that up and see if it recognizes the HD and if it shows partitions.
  • Terran82
  • Terran82

Post 3+ Months Ago

I found the Windows XP cd and tried fixmbr. It's response was it couldn't read it or something to that extent and it didn't help :cry:
  • a2cyrus
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Tampa, FL

Post 3+ Months Ago

Right click on "My Computer" then go to "manage" Click "Storage" then go to Disk Management (Local) Snap in (or Start/Run/MMC and add the snap in there.)
and tell me if you see your second HD in the bottom list that shows the actual drives not the list of partitions C: D: E: ect..

The Snap in will also tell you generic info about something that could be wrong for example "disk not initialized" meaning your drive needs to be started or failed to start, or just show you unallocated space meaning there is some sort of read error, or your drives empty.

Also I'm assuming you checked the connections to the drive and actually felt and listened to the drive running. If this is the problem don't tell me.
  • Terran82
  • Terran82

Post 3+ Months Ago

a2cyrus wrote:
Right click on "My Computer" then go to "manage" Click "Storage" then go to Disk Management (Local) Snap in (or Start/Run/MMC and add the snap in there.)
and tell me if you see your second HD in the [you]bottom[/you] list that shows the actual drives [you]not[/you] the list of partitions C: D: E: ect..

The Snap in will also tell you generic info about something that could be wrong for example "disk not initialized" meaning your drive needs to be started or failed to start, or just show you unallocated space meaning there is some sort of read error, or your drives empty.

Also I'm assuming you checked the connections to the drive and actually felt and listened to the drive running. If this is the problem don't tell me.

I don't see my second harddrive anywhere in that list. The list starts with Disk 1 (the primary drive), then goes on to include Disk 2-5 (all removable disk drives that have nothing currently in them) followed by CD-Rom 0 and 1.

Yah I already checked the drive connection and made sure it was running.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Has the idea that the hard drive died come across your mind? Have you tried formatting it and then seeing if Windows will see it?
  • Terran82
  • Terran82

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch2171 wrote:
Has the idea that the hard drive died come across your mind? Have you tried formatting it and then seeing if Windows will see it?

formatting is pretty much my last resort seeing as it's my understanding that I'd lose everything on the HD if I do. If that's not true though then I'll try it now. My HD dying is a possibility, though the HD is being recognized in Device Manager for what little that's worth.
  • Terran82
  • Terran82

Post 3+ Months Ago

I went into Device Manager and uninstalled the problematic Harddrive. After successfully doing so I went into Add Hardware and my computer auto-detected the Harddrive. The computer then installed the Harddrive and it was back into Device Manager only with the same busted Partition. I went into Disk Management and there's still no Disk 0...
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Formatting will indeed erase all data on the drive.
  • Terran82
  • Terran82

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch2171 wrote:
Formatting will indeed erase all data on the drive.

If I wanted to, how do I format it? Because while I can uninstall it through Device Manager and while my computer recognizes it enough to reinstall it, outside of that I can't in any way read or see the HD.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

If it showed up in Disk Management you would right click and select format.

But since windows is refusing to display the hard drive except in device manager I'm not sure how you would go about it.
  • Terran82
  • Terran82

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well my computer crashed and when I loaded it back up the removable harddrives stopped showing up in My Computer and Disk Management. Is there any good chance that this is a virus?

That being said AVG Free Edition and three different spyware programs didn't find anything that fixed this.
  • Netmaster
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Saint Joseph, MO

Post 3+ Months Ago

unplug your main harddrive and switch the jumper on your second harddrive to the primary position. then insert your windows disk and reformat the partition in the same format as your first (Fat32/NTFS). Then Switch them back.
  • panzhuli
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • panzhuli
  • Loc: Cleveland

Post 3+ Months Ago

you may be able to salvage some data with GetDataBack - it may cost you $70 - but it may be worth it... you can use the downloadable demo to see if it can find that drive...

http://www.runtime.org/gdb.htm
  • bawhbb
  • Born
  • Born
  • bawhbb

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've actually been having this same problem, first witha 120 Gb HD (western digital) and now witha brand new hitachi 250 Gb. It works fine for a while, and then it might just disappear for seemingly no reason... Still in device manager and working properly, but nothing esle recognizes it the connections are all just fine and sometimes after restarting it will show up again. the 120 one did this consistently for about 3 months on me until it completely died and i had no choice but to reformat. Afterwards, I got a month before it started having the same problems. I figured the drive must be jacked up or something, so I replaced it and things went fine for 3 hours... Then I started ahving the same problems with my new drive. So, if anyone has suggestions it would be appreciated. I've also tried reinstalling windows but that didn't help either. My HD that came with my computer has never had this problem, and I was considering installing windows to the new HD and using it as my primary, but it looks like this problem ahs been plaguing people trying that as well. HOpefully, someone will have some idea that will work and pass it on.
  • ray mccormack
  • Born
  • Born
  • ray mccormack

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry to bump an old thread but this is the same problem I am having with a Maxtor 320 Gb. Did anyone get this problem resolved? What did you do?
  • Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Durianburg, Philippines. Spent time in South Pole

Post 3+ Months Ago

if you love your data on that troubled hard drive, recover and back it up first before doin the experimentation of format and reformat. send me a private message with your email add and ill send you a recovery apps.

I suspect the partition table of that drive was corrupted....
  • bearfuel
  • Born
  • Born
  • bearfuel

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm having the same problem with my second drive. It has all of my pics, music, and other files that i would really love to save. Any suggestions on recovery apps that I could use, or will I be able to revover?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 20 posts