WIndows startup "you have failed" message

• daakuryu
  • daakuryu

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a weird issue, it doesn't seem to be causing any problems but it's annoying as hell.

whenever I start my computer, right as the windows xp pro loading screen appears My speakers shoot out "You have failed" in a childlike or female voice.

I've done the virus scans I've done the spyware scans, I even formated and reinstalled everything.

That solved it so i reinstalled all my programs starting with all the updates and protection stuff I could. I don't reboot often, maybe once a week, but today I had a sound issue so I rebooted and There it was again.

Google and norton searches don't turn up anything so I'm stumped.

I'm going to try and replace my ntoskrnl but I have a feeling that might not help.

Any ideas?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's a tough one to search for. Even at symantec's site I can't get anything on that. Is that the exact message? Do you get any other audible messages at other times?
  • daakuryu
  • daakuryu

Post 3+ Months Ago

No others messages.

just "you have failed"

Just reinstalled windows again and it's still there, guess i haldn't turned on my sound all this time.

I did notice something though, I doesn't happen at the startup screen like I though, It happens before that. when I put win winxp cd and booted it went through the usual motions then right after the promisse detection. the sound happened, at the same time as a pc speaker beep.

Then after that happened I got the press a key to boot from cd message, so I really am stumped now.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmmm...sounds like a POST error message. Must have something to do with your BIOS. Check your BIOS manufacturer's website for detailed description of error messages.

If you want to post your Bios info we can help you check.
  • daakuryu
  • daakuryu

Post 3+ Months Ago

My board is an asus P4P800-E deluxe

I actualy had to replace it last week since my other one had an unfortunate accident.

Why would a POST error have such an insulting sound file attached to it. and whouldn't a POST error mean the computer wouldn't boot past that point?

The bios is an American Megatrend Amibios rev 1004.001
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not all post failures result in a non-bootable system.

Apparently your mobo talks:
http://www.asus.com/support/english/tec ... strep.aspx

That's one slick little feature. I had never "heard" of it until now. Unfortunately, I'm having a bit of trouble narrowing down exactly how to trouble shoot the errors. Check the program mentioned there and see if the built in help says anything about them. If not, contact Asus, or check your mobo manual.

P.S. Apparently you can record your own voice messages instead of the factory installed ones *lol -- enjoy! Let us know when you narrow down what is actually causing the failure.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I moved this to hardware to let the experts here have a go at it, since we've narrowed it down to a legit function and not a virus.
  • daakuryu
  • daakuryu

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've narowed it down and listend to the sound clearly, before now i thought there was an interference that made the sound stutter since it would go "you..you have failed" after listening to it now I realise its saying CPU fan failed.

what i don't get though is why it says that, all my temperatures are within normal range
  • daakuryu
  • daakuryu

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nevermind, I think I found it, For some reason although the fan is working properly, it doesnt seem like the connector to the fan monitor is working properly, I have one of those fans that can be controled through an external switch and I always have it at max speed.

It also explains why it went away and came back. About the same time as I reinstalled everything I changed my fan because the one that came with the cpu always stayed at 2500rpms even when my system needed a lot more. So my pc would shut itself down everytime I would encode movies.

I changed fans, reinstalled my os to get rid of what I thought was a virus, sound went away, a visitor came and accidentaly hit my mobo, (it was an open case) broke one of the cpu fan's stabilising pins so I had to replace the mobo. Now that its a new mobo sound is back. guess I messed up when plugging in the monitoring switch.

Thanks for the help in finding out my motherboard has a personality. Guess i didn't look hard enough on the asus website, or I need to relearn how the search function works.

I always said, too many years at a techsupport desk and you wind up becoming as blind as the users :oops:
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

My girlfriend always tells me "You geeks always overlook the simple things" *lol

Glad you got it sorted. Taking dibs you spend the next few days recording your own "personality" into the machine *wink

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts