windows vista home premium won't start

• ayongkot
  • Born
  • Born
  • ayongkot
  • Loc: italy

Post 3+ Months Ago

i installed two-2 Gb DDR2 memory on my new laptop but windows doen't start. however, when used individually (2 Gb), it goes fine. i wanted to both so that multi tasking in vista goes smoothly. i have acer travelmate 6291 which can support up to 4Gb of memory.

thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are the memory slots color coded? The sticks have to go in the same color slots.
  • ayongkot
  • Born
  • Born
  • ayongkot
  • Loc: italy

Post 3+ Months Ago

there is no color coding because either memory (2 Gb) when used individually on either slot has no problem. when used together, vista just doesn't start, there is sound/beep but only a blank screen. i tried to inquire from memory vendor (orcalogic) and they suggested i should upgrade the bios. but there is no bios listed on the acer website for vista, only for xp and other os. is this possible? i looked at the microsoft website but it says vista supports 4Gb for 32-bit and 128Gb for 64-bit. so either should start with 4Gb memory right?

please help.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

The BIOS comes with the processor, not the OS. I looked at the mother board specs and it said that there were 4 slots, not 2, so either I had the wrong mother board or you don't see the other 2 slots. What mother board is in there?

How many beeps do you hear? There are beep codes for each mother board.
  • SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

are the memory sticks the same speed?
  • mbeifuss
  • Born
  • Born
  • mbeifuss

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm having the same problem. I have an HP Pavillion DV9000 series laptop and Vista starts fine with 2GB (either 2x1GB or 1x2GB modules) but it acts like it is starting up. I get moving bar then the Vista welcome sound then the hard drive light goes nuts for a while but nothing ever comes up on the screen. I've left it on for 10 minutes with nothing ever coming up. Could it be something to do with the file system?
  • mbeifuss
  • Born
  • Born
  • mbeifuss

Post 3+ Months Ago

As an additional note using 1x2GB+1x1GB (3GB total) also boots Vista fine. The BIOS of this system doesn't give the full 4GB (3.6GB if I recall correctly) so 3GB should be close to the max so it's not a big deal unless this is dual channel memory and having a 1 and a 2 gb won't give you the speed that 2 2gb modules would.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Once again, the best thing to do is to get the model # off the mother board. Then search it on google.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts