Wired HDD Problem to Solve!!! Help

• alantan1982
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • alantan1982

Post 3+ Months Ago

:( Can someone please help me solve my problem...

My hard disk is lock and I can't access it at all. A password is required during boot. The problem is, I don't have the password and I did not set any.

I can't even format, low level format or anything (I set the HDD as slave on another PC).. i even e-mail seagate and they tell me that they dont have any master password. by the way, my hard disk is a seagate.

How can I save my harddisk? Plzz help
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• faith4
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • faith4
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
My hard disk is lock and I can't access it at all

the last time u log in ur pc still able to log in ?
or this the 1st time ur using the pc ?
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am assuming you mean a BIOS password, right?
  • alantan1982
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • alantan1982

Post 3+ Months Ago

It is not the bios password, I did not set any password to lock my pc.

This is not the first time I use pc and I am able to log in the last time.
My pc got hang after running for a while. As usual, I hot boot the pc and the next thing I know when I start my pc, the HDD is lock. It is lock when the system is detecting the HDD and request a password. (Still haven't enter window. The very first screen when we start the pc)
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I pretty sure such a thing does not exist, and the BIOS password dialog is just coming up after the hard dives are detected? Anyone want to confirm? Prove me wrong?
  • Lefty
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: North Dakota, United States

Post 3+ Months Ago

What about the whole systems locked...ie is there a key in the computer front panel that locks the computer from ANY access??
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

It is requesting a password, so I don't think it would be a keylock.

That would be a hell of a catch 22: "Please enter password to unlock your keyboard.."

What kind of computer/motherboard is it?
  • alantan1982
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • alantan1982

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have been using computer for years and this is the first time i encounter this as well.. I don't even know it exist until today. It is definately not bios lock and keyboard lock.. if i remove the HDD, everything work fine... after the system detect the HDD, it prompt a message just after the message stated that the HDD is detected. The message is something like "HDD is lock. Please enter password to unlock your HDD (5 left)".

I'm pretty sure this do exist as there are people out there facing the same problem.. I'm not sure if they have found a solution to it yet...
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I read a few sites and it seems such a thing does exist. There is a password program on the controller board, which is stored in NVRAM. As far as I know, there is no way to get around it becuase it asks for the password before any access to the drive happens. If you can look on the controller board for a NVRAM chip and post the numbers on it, I might be able to help you find what pin to jump to what pin to clear it.
  • alantan1982
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • alantan1982

Post 3+ Months Ago

"look on the controller board for a NVRAM chip and post the numbers on it" Where is the NVRAM chip? Can I plug out the HDD and clear the NVRAM (I have to plug out to enter bios and clear the NVRAM, there is an option to clear NVRAM in bios setup) and plug in the HDD back to the PC. will it work?
  • Lefty
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

What is the make and model of your hard drive and computer??

What changed to make it ask for a password, loss of power, installed new gadget etc??
  • alantan1982
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • alantan1982

Post 3+ Months Ago

My PC? I assemble the PC myself. My HDD is Seagate Model ST340014A. I did install a software called "tailsman", downloaded from download.com and uninstall it after i found out that it don't suit me. once uninstall, the pc prompt me to restart my pc. i did not do that and choose to restart later. the next thing i know i my pc hang after a while. I reset the PC and it prompt me for password.
  • Lefty
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am thinking you mean talisman...

The software site listed it as a shell replacement for MS Explorer is this correct??

If so it could have screwed the NTOS kernel file and left it's finger print there. Over the 30 days it is waiting for a password to start the software and your over the 30 day limit.

Can you boot to a safe mode at all? That still may not work. I don't know how it decides the date, some programs us the system clock, others use an algorythm to find the time.

Try to change the system clock to 1 year ago in the BIOS and restart, re-install talisman, then uninstall it, change the system clock back to normal.

Again these are all guesses after reading the web site FAQ's.

http://www.lighttek.com/talisman_faq.htm

One other thing is to hit their forums and post a question to their tech support. The above link will also get there.

Other than that you may be SOL and have to buy the program ($25 US) or have to FDISK the drive.

One thing to note is not re-booting may have played a major part in it. Make sure you include that in your question to tech support.
  • alantan1982
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • alantan1982

Post 3+ Months Ago

Attempt fail.. i plan to get a new HDD. :cry: :cry:
  • Lefty
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

If your going to get a new one, why not just boot to a XP cd and re-partition this one first? That "should" kill the password. Of course it will also kill all of your data, ut it will save you from buying a new hard drive.
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

No, the password protection on this type of drive is written into the controller board, you cant access the drive at all until you type it in.
  • Lefty
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can't a boot from the CDROM before it even gets to the hdd give control to the BIOS first, then let XP smack it?

Funny a program can cause this much of a problem, and take control from the BIOS...
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

No no no, you don't understand. It is in the FIRMWARE of the hard drive. It is not a program or anything written to the hard drive, it is PART of the hard drive.
  • Lefty
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

From re-reading the thread It's pretty confusing...he has used it for years...just had the problem after rebooting...installed a new program...but your right all the symptoms point toward a progam on the drive. Maybe we're not getting all the story.
  • alantan1982
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • alantan1982

Post 3+ Months Ago

unfortunately.. I can't even format it. the point is, i cannot access it. not even low level format. or zero filling. that is why i come to the decision on buying a new HDD.
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

i say you stick it inthe microwave and see what happens
  • Jazzy
  • Student
  • Student
  • Jazzy
  • Loc: Brussels

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well..

This seems pretty weird and most likely as i read in the whole post the prob is caused by the program that you installed.

But anyway atm it's not so important where the prob came from it justhas to be solved so I'm thinking about to quick solutions here :

1-

I have a seagate aswell, and i know you can download a program from seagate website wich you can put ona floppy if i remember right. It's a program to managing your HDD, ( partitioning reformatting ans so on)

I would try that and see if it works

You can find the prog here http://seagate.com/support/software/

2-

If that still doesn't work i would get a copy of Knoppix Linux. With that you will be able to boot into a Linux environment and acces your HDD.
You can then use the fdisk command to format your HDD.
You will loose all the info but you will be albe to reuse the disk ( not that it's much useable atm :p )

Hope this helps GL ! :)
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Again. It's not a software lock. It's a firmware lock that's actually *built-in* to all ATA3 compliant hard-drive controllers.

http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/man ... 153r17.pdf

The HD controller doesn't allow read or write operations while the disk is locked. So, you can't format, you can't fdisk, you can't low-level format. You can't do anything. This is because the *ATA controller* will not allow it.
  • Lefty
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

After reading the above pdf I agree with you that it's a firmware problem...I'm curious to know why did it lock? The drives are sent unlocked from the manufacture. How do you get in to reset the password, it talks about commands to the controller (p-66), but where do you initiate those commands?
  • Jazzy
  • Student
  • Student
  • Jazzy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes i know what a firmware is but you never know what windows in some way is capable of

Besides the program i stated above is from seagate exactly to manage HDD's and prolly also a tool to upload/reinstall new firware. :)
  • alantan1982
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • alantan1982

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can't even access it.what is the point of having the tools from seagate?Anyway, I tried that also and it fail. I thought i work in the past and I have tried it. however, it fail.

I ask seagate and they tell me that they did not set any password or in other word, they dun have the master key.
  • Jazzy
  • Student
  • Student
  • Jazzy

Post 3+ Months Ago

can 't seagate exchange it for a new one ?
  • alantan1982
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • alantan1982

Post 3+ Months Ago

ha ha ha ha.... you must be joking
  • ilyawizard
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ilyawizard

Post 3+ Months Ago

What if u make it a slave drive and boot up? will it require password?
  • alantan1982
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • alantan1982

Post 3+ Months Ago

yup... on my pc. i have another hdd. i install os to it. and set the faulty one as slave. it prompt me for password. i bring it to another pc, it does not prompt me for password but i can't access the HDD.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 47 posts