Wired Heat Problem!!!

• alantan1982
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • alantan1982

Post 3+ Months Ago

I owned an AMD Powered PC. everytime I on my PC, I need a standing fan to fans the system unit. If not, the PC will restart automatically by itself. I believe it is caused by the high temperature but I'm not sure it is the CPU temperature, the Motherboard chipset temperature or the graphic Card temperature. How can I check the source of the problem and how to fix it?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SKATER
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

open the case and check for dirt and dust on the fins of the CPU fan/heatsink. Clean them and the start the system to see if there are aany other fans not running that should be running once again clean any dirt/dust from those fan(s) and all the vent holes on the case. even the ones that are hidden behind the front bezel. Good luck.

<SKATER]
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you OverClocked any part of your computer at all. Its not normal that your computer should shut down in the way you have described.

Even with stock HSF, none of the components should get so hot that your computer reboots itself.

What spec is your pc and what HSF is on your CPU ?

Where abouts is your computer situated ?
  • Bgnn32
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Bgnn32
  • Loc: Western Mass

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sounds a lot like what my PC did when the Power Supply fan died.
  • SKATER
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bgnn32 wrote:
Sounds a lot like what my PC did when the Power Supply fan died.

good point. I went out and purchased a solid copper heatsink w/ a 7000+ rpm fan. added a side panel fan and 2nd case fan. my system stays cooler than ever before. even w/ a 450watt PS and 3 hdd.

keep in mind that AMD chips do run hotter than intel but they last longer at those higher temps than intel does too
  • alantan1982
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • alantan1982

Post 3+ Months Ago

I realize that I have a aluminium sick cooler with fan running at 5000 rpm. It is dusty too. the temperaturer is around 50-60 degree. that is why i need a table fan to maintain the temperaturer at 50.

What cooler you guys would recommend me??

what is the effect if a graphic card is overheat?? restart??
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

Go into your BIOS and see what temp its set to for restarting your PC, if its below your average CPU temp you need to increase it.

The new Asus Star Ice fan is suuposed to be excellent, its very big though mind and need securing on both sides but will keep it super cool. Could find a link for it on my usual sites, its kinda new, or there is this :
http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/compone ... klinx=36PJ

Looks a bit beefy aswell.
  • Bgnn32
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Bgnn32
  • Loc: Western Mass

Post 3+ Months Ago

One mistake that a lot of people will make with case fans is they will set them all up to exhaust, and that isn't the most efficent way to cool the inside. You want airflow through the case, meaning have one fan on the front of the case pulling air in and one on the back blowing it out or vice versa. Airflow is key to keeping the system cool.

Also if you are using IDE drives with ribbon cable it is well worth the investment in round cables they will improve air flow a ton.
  • ScienceOfSpock
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Las Vegas

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bgnn32 has a point. You need pusher fans as well as puller fans.
In my experience, you will actually want to have greater airflow into the case than out of it (but not by much)
When you have greater airflow into the case, it builds up pressure. Pressure means greater air density. Greater air density means better heat dissipation.

If all you have are exhaust fans, that pulls a vacuum on the case, which means less air density-> less heat dissipation from your components.

In either case, the difference may be up to 5 degrees.
For AMD processors, I use Thermaltake HSF's (Volcano 11's usually). They're a bit louder, but they do their job very well.

For video cards, they can lock up a system, but usually only if the onboard fan dies, or if the ambient temperature gets too hot for them and they are under heavy load. If you are just browsing or doing word processing, this usually won't be a problem.
  • alantan1982
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • alantan1982

Post 3+ Months Ago

it is so true that air flow will bring great benifits to the temperaturer but at the same time, it will cause all the components inside the casing to be very dusty. it will then again cause the temperature to go up again... unless there is a air filter, that would be another story.

anyone know how to make an air filter
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

alantan1982 wrote:
it is so true that air flow will bring great benifits to the temperaturer but at the same time, it will cause all the components inside the casing to be very dusty. it will then again cause the temperature to go up again... unless there is a air filter, that would be another story.

anyone know how to make an air filter

You are correct in saying that having better airflow into your PC causes a greater build up of dust. If the layer(s) of dust are thick enough, yes they possibly would cause the temperature to rise, but not sufficiantly enough to cause major problems.

You can buy air filters off the net, or a simple gauze would do the trick.
  • alantan1982
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • alantan1982

Post 3+ Months Ago

what is the casing if open??
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

If the case is open then it is deffinatly going to get dusty, especially if you have a fan blowing into it, although, this should also stop the dust from settling.

How many fans does your PC currently have?
  • alantan1982
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • alantan1982

Post 3+ Months Ago

My PC?? :oops: original processor fan plus one table fan.. ha ha ha.. that is it. I plan to get a good processor fan and close the casing. try to avoid all the dust..
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

It doesnt have a case fan at all ?!?!

If thats the case (no pun intended) I would advise you to get a new case with some fan mounts.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts