Wireless adapter installation trouble

• trjohnston
  • Born
  • Born
  • trjohnston

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had a WG511 installed on my Dell Inspiron 8100 (system specs are appended). I lost the adapter so I bought Buffalo AirStation Turbo G (model # WLI-CB-G54HP) because it has an external antenna jack and the access node is a long way from my apartment. I used the uninstall utility that was located under "Program Files" -> "Netgear folder" before trying to install the Buffalo card.

I tried installing the Buffalo drivers two ways: (1) from the included CD and by downloading the drivers off the Buffalo website and let Windows "Find New Hardware". Either way, I get the same error message after it has spent some time copying files:
"There was a problem installing this hardware Buffalo WLI-CB-G54HP Wireless LAN Adapter. An error occurred during the installation of the device. The parameter is incorrect. The driver was not installed correctly. Please reinstall."

Under the device manager, the card shows up (with a yellow exclamation point) under the Network Adapter heading. By right-clicking the adapter and selecting properties, I get the following:
"This device is not configured correctly (Code 1). To reinstall the drivers for this device, click reinstall.

My laptop has 2 PCMCIA slots and the same thing happens no matter which slot I put the card in.

A few more points of interest:
(1) I spoke to the Buffalo tech support guys and they think that my Netgear drivers may not have been completely uninstalled and they suggested I contact Netgear support folks. I emailed them my problem and they "kindly suggest that I contact my system vendor".

(2) After the install of the Buffalo card failed the first time, I noticed that (in the Device Manager List) there was also a yellow exclamation point next to the "Plug and Play BIOS extension" under the "System Devices" heading. It said that there was no driver for this device. I couldn't find any drivers for it on the web (or references to it for that matter). I uninstalled it thinking that it would be detected as new hardware and Windows would reinstall the drivers (or attempt to). Nothing seems to have been affected.

(3) During startup, if I press F2 to enter the BIOS setup, I notice that there is NO option to enable/disable plug and play. (I have version A15). I don't know if that is supposed to be there or not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

COMPUTER SPECS:
Processor
Model : Intel(R) Pentium(R) III Mobile CPU 1133MHz
Speed : 1.13GHz
Performance Rating : PR1356 (estimated)
Type : Mobile
L2 On-board Cache : 512kB ECC Synchronous ATC (8-way, 32 byte line size)

Mainboard
Bus(es) : X-Bus AGP PCI PCMCIA CardBus USB FireWire/1394 i2c/SMBus
MP Support : No
MP APIC : No
System BIOS : Dell Computer Corporation A15
System : Dell Computer Corporation Inspiron 8100
Mainboard : Dell Computer Corporation Inspiron 8100
Total Memory : 511MB SDRAM

Chipset 1
Model : Intel Corporation 82815/G/EG/P/EP Solano Host-Hub Interface Bridge (GMCH/MCH B0-step)
Front Side Bus Speed : 1x 133MHz (133MHz data rate)
Total Memory : 512MB SDRAM
Memory Bus Speed : 1x 133MHz (133MHz data rate)

Physical Storage Devices
Removable Drive : Floppy disk drive
Hard Disk : HITACHI_DK23DA-40 (37.3GB)
CD-ROM/DVD : TOSHIBA CDRW/DVD SDR2102 (CD 24X Rd, 8X Wr) (DVD 3X Rd)

Logical Storage Devices
1.44MB 3.5" (A:) : N/A
Hard Disk (C:) : 37.2GB (13.7GB, 37% Free) (NTFS)

Peripherals
Serial/Parallel Port(s) : 2 COM / 1 LPT
USB Controller/Hub : Intel(r) 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2442
USB Controller/Hub : USB Root Hub
FireWire/1394 Controller/Hub : Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
PCMCIA/CardBus Controller : Texas Instruments PCI-4451 CardBus Controller
PCMCIA/CardBus Controller : Texas Instruments PCI-4451 CardBus Controller
Keyboard : Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse : Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad
Mouse : Microsoft USB IntelliMouse
Human Interface : Microsoft USB IntelliMouse

MultiMedia Device(s)
Device : ESS Maestro PCI Audio (WDM)

Communication Device(s)
Device : 3Com Mini PCI 56K Modem

Power Management
AC Line Status : On-Line

Operating System(s)
Windows System : Microsoft Windows XP/2002 Professional (Win32 x86) 5.01.2600 (Service Pack 2)

Network Services
Adapter : 3Com 10/100 Mini PCI Ethernet Adapter
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 1 post