Wireless connection problems

• swideguy
  • Born
  • Born
  • swideguy

Post 3+ Months Ago

I recently bought a laptop computer with wireless capabilities. i downloaded netzero and when i try to connect wireless, it finds the network ok, but the internet explorer won't find the page. is this a network problem or a computer issue??? any help would be great.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• typhon
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Memphis, Tn

Post 3+ Months Ago

Im no network guru or anything closely resembling one. Ok you have netzero. Do you have a wireless router, are you at a school that has wireless, or are you in a neighborhood that has wireless access points? We need a little more detail.
  • swideguy
  • Born
  • Born
  • swideguy

Post 3+ Months Ago

it's a wireless router...i'm no guru either if you can't tell! it's pretty new to me...
  • MidwestMerchant
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

is your wireless enabled through your router? depending what kind of router you have you should be able to access the admin via 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1; with no user name, just "admin" as password. Make sure your wireless is enabled in the router config and make sure you assign a WEP key to the wirless network (otherwise others will be leeching your connection) once wireless is enabled it should be as simple as hooking up wired connection. If wireless is enabled on your router and it still shows your connected but arent getting any service try ip releasing and renewing, you can do this on XP in the Command Prompt by typing 'ipconfig /release' then 'ipconfig /renew' minus the '..hope this helps
  • potapizzle
  • Born
  • Born
  • potapizzle
  • Loc: Atlanta

Post 3+ Months Ago

If your wireless card is connecting to the router okay, and you have a WAN IP address on the router, it is probably a DNS issue. Put at least one new DNS entry into your Wireless Network Connection. The one I know works (cause its mine) is 64.239.4.74 .
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

swideguy wrote:
I recently bought a laptop computer with wireless capabilities. i downloaded netzero and when i try to connect wireless, it finds the network ok, but the internet explorer won't find the page. is this a network problem or a computer issue??? any help would be great.

Ok... backup a second. You said you were able to locate and connect to a wireless network... I assume you don't own your own wireless router, and you're connecting to some other wireless hotspot, presumably that you have no administrative control over.

So, first things first. (this assumes Windows XP since you said the LT was new...)

Start > Run > cmd (that is, open a command prompt).

Type this: ipconfig /all

You should see something related to your wireless nic's connection, hopefully an IP address other than 0.0.0.0 and a DNS address.

If you don't, then your not connected to a wireless network.

If it looks like you are, then try to ping a website, I usually use google, but any generic website is fine.

>ping http://www.google.com

If that comes back, then you definately have an internet connection. If it cannot find the host, you don't. If finds google but gets no reply, you're connected to a network, but not the internet (DNS is resolving, but packets are not flowing).

If you get a ping (even a series of no replies, anything but cannot resolve host), type this:

> telnet http://www.google.com 80

If the screen goes all blank, then you were able to connect to google on port 80 and your web browser should work. If not, then something is blocking port 80 traffic. Make sure your firewall or Vscan or other software isn't blocking you.

If all else fails, call NetZero and ask for help.

.c

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts