Wireless Gaming Lag

• monsieur_le_christophe
  • Student
  • Student
  • monsieur_le_christophe
  • Loc: Wales, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey - not sure if this is really the right forum but I'm trying to stop the high lag times which appear every few minutes for half a minute or so when playing Halo and the such.

I have a Linksys BEFW11S4 54mbps wireless router and a Safecom 11mbps USB wireless card. I've just got MAC filtering security-wise as I heared encryption can add to ping times, and I've got nothing sensitive on my computer. I've set the router to short preamble and have constant "excellent" full signal, using the XP SP2 wireless software. I have a 2mbps cable line which downloads fine at the kind of speeds you'd expect from such a connection. I don't understand the following things, but they're all set to default:

Beacon Interval: 100
DTIM Interval: 1
Fragmentation Threshold: 2346
RTS Threshold: 2432

I don't have any cordless fones or anything so I can't imagine what's causing these periodic leaps from pings of 40 to pings of 2500. If anyone has any advice, or knows that this is unavoidable, I'd be really grateful! Thanks!

Chris
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had the same problem with a Linksys router a while back. Turns out I just needed to upgrade the firmware. Food for thought =).
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

My Linksys was causing this a little over a year ago. Now I have a D-Link DGL-4300. I do not like Linksys, many gamers seem to have problems with it.
  • tomrulez
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: England!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yep ive had problems with Linksys before. Grrrrr
  • The1
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

make sure your using the latest firmware, also food for thought try slow the speed down to 11mpbs and see if it's better, if it is then maybe something is interfering or signal strength is low enough to drop of sometimes.
  • monsieur_le_christophe
  • Student
  • Student
  • monsieur_le_christophe
  • Loc: Wales, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the ideas The1.
Yep, using the latest firmware, and the speed is capped at 11mbps because of my 11mbps wireless card, though I've set the router to only use 11mbps as well in case of some daft compatibility glitch. Signal strength is always excellent and there are no wireless devices nearby to interfere. It is quite a mystery! Any other ideas by any chance?
  • The1
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

is your wireless router 54mbps?? linksys have problems if your using an older 11mbps card, i would firstly go and buy a 54mbps card.

That should fix it, if not the only other thing to get is a better arial on the router that has greater gain db to make the signal even stronger so the dips in signal will hopefully be less. But from experience so far with wireless equipment it pays to not mix equipment speeds but to stick with the speeds that they were made with, 11mbps router get 11mbps cards, 54mbps router 54mbps cards.
  • The1
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

you could also try this

http://www.minitar.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22
  • gameer689
  • Born
  • Born
  • gameer689

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you guys checked out EndLagNow.org? They were ALL over the Game Developers Conference in San Jose, they are rounding up Developers and Hardware manufacturers to End Lag! Sign up for their Newsletter and they send you reviews of LAg ending products... and they have a GREAT Forum on Lag. This is gonna change gaming as we know it! :D

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts