Wireless Internet

• conorific
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

This may be the stupidest question in the world, but my friend and I were arguing about it. Is it possible to have 56k wireless? I didn't think so, but can anyone give me a definitive answer?
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

sure it is...

56k into a pc, network card out to a wireless router, share that
connection in windows. :)
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why would anyone want 56k? If you are using wireless then I suggest you save the money from going wireless and just up your connection! :D
  • conorific
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

UNFLUX: Thanks.

Truce: I'm only fifteen, and I can't pay the bill by myself, and my mom refuses to get a higher speed connection. Also, as I specifically said, it was just a debate and nothing more. Also, your reply makes no sense. If I'm currently using wireless, I can't GO wireless because I already have it. :roll:
  • beings
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

how safe is wireless internet now? ive always heard that it is realy easy to use someone elses connection if you are in range.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
how safe is wireless internet now? ive always heard that it is realy easy to use someone elses connection if you are in range.

Most people don't use encryption on their wireless network because they don't 1, realize how often others tap off of their network. and 2, because they don't understand how to implement it. When encryption is used, it is almost just as secure of wired networks. Hence the acronym WEP (wired equivalent privacy). This is only true if 1, you don't have any hackers living nearby, and 2 you have at least 128-bit encryption.

It is estimated that a standard 128-bit encryption would take 180 years to break using a brute force attack. So unless you are planning on living for another 180 years with the same network hardware and the same key, you are fine. 64-bit encryptions take only about 8-hours to break with nice computers so be careful on what bit strength you are implementing.
  • Xel02
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Xel02

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wireless should be getting a lot more secure now that the new 802.11i standard has come out. Also from what I've heard Wireless is actually quite secure if you take the time to set it up properly.

Things is most defaults are set to leave the network so wide open anyone could fly a 747 through it.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts