wireless internet

• northerninvasion
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • northerninvasion

Post 3+ Months Ago

hello,
i recently purchased a dell inspiron e1505 and since it is wireless i decided to network my dell 4500 wirelessly.
the laptop has a Dell Wireless 1390 802.11b/g Mini Card (54Mbps) wireless card.

i checked my desktop by looking in the device manager under
network adapters and found that i have an
Intel(R) Pro/100 VE Network Connection. is this wireless?

could you tell me what gear i would need to make my laptop which is upstairs completely wireless, internet wise? i assume id need a wireless router, any recommendations?

thankyou for your help.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, you are correct. You would need to purchase a wireless router, so that your computer could connect to a network wirelessly.

After getting a wireless router, simply run a cat5 cable from your router's WAN port to your cable modem (I'm assuming you have cable). Console into your router directly by plugging in a cable from any computer directly to the router and by typing usually 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 (these are usually the default gateway IP addresses).

From inside the router you can configure your wireless network to be more secure by allowing only specific mac addresses, using port forwards, setting a WPA or security key/passphrase and naming your network.

Hope this helps. =)
  • northerninvasion
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • northerninvasion

Post 3+ Months Ago

so that network adapter is wireless?

i checked the back of my motorola modem, i have highspeed cable. i found an ethernet port (filled) a usb port (empty) a cable port (filled) and one with a few numbers, which is also filled. so which one would i run my cat5 cable to?

do i have to buy a cat5 cable?

thanks for all your help, any other info would be greatly appreciated!
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

If the Cat5 cable is currently occupied on your cable modem, then I am assuming that you're currently connected directly to the modem.

once you purchase a wireless router, you just need to run a Cat5 cable from the modem to the WAN port on the wireless router. From the router you can directly connect any computer you wish via cat5 cable, or you can use a wireless configuration.

Basically with the purchase of the wireless router you are broadcasting your wireless network across a specific area so that any computer provided the correct MAC address/WPA key can connect to it.
  • northerninvasion
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • northerninvasion

Post 3+ Months Ago

i just bought a wireless router from linksys, and am installing the software

i plan on configuring it wirelessly for the laptop which will soon go upstairs.
anything else i need to know?
i bought a cat5 just in case.
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

When you configure your router, just make sure that you make your network somewhat secure by using a WPA key or passphrase and I would suggest restricting access to your network to only allow your MAC addresses.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

northerninvasion wrote:
so that network adapter is wireless?

If you are talking about the "Intel(R) Pro/100 VE Network Connection. is this wireless?" That is most likely the integrated "wired" NIC you found the port for on the back of your computer.
  • northerninvasion
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • northerninvasion

Post 3+ Months Ago

ive installed the linksys router, set up the security feature, so that should be good to go.

of slight concerm, the "internet" green light is mostly solid, but sometimes flickers, does this mean the connection is bad?

i just dont want my laptop connection to be slow.
  • northerninvasion
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • northerninvasion

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah, are the internet lights and the ethernet 1 2 3 4 (only 1 is lit, im assuming this is because only one computer is attached to the network, correct me if im wrong) supposed to constantly flicker?

is this streaming info?
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, the lights are supposed to flicker, indicating that there is activity on your network coming from designated computer.
  • northerninvasion
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • northerninvasion

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for your help!
i cant wait for my e1505 with a core duo to get here!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts