Wireless Router Problem

• AAI-Tech
  • Born
  • Born
  • AAI-Tech
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I recently bought a Netgear DG834G wireless Router to connect up my laptop to, the laptop is an Asus W3000 series Running Xp pro with an integrated Centrino Wireless Connection, I hooked up the router to my desktop wich is also running XP pro, I managed to get the router set up but im having problems accessing a lot of websites, like hotmail from the desktop, I think thats a DNS problem, the other big problem is that I cant surf the web using the wireless on my laptop, I can connect to the router from the laptop and I can ping Ip numbers but I cant even surf to them in IE or Opera.

I also installed some web proxy/tunnel software on my PC a while back but I uninstalled it cause it want that good, Perhaps that has affected something.
  • bigcheeez
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bigcheeez

Post 3+ Months Ago

Run ipconfig/all at a command prompt on the laptop, and make sure your ip is not in the 169.254.xxx.xxx range. Check to make sure that your default gateway and DNS server addresses are correct.

When you say you can ping ip numbers, what ip's are you talking about?
In your router setup you should find your ISP's dns server ip. See if you can ping that from the laptop.

If you've tried all this or none of this works, try using a wired connection on your laptop through the router, just like your desktop. Make sure you can get an internet connection running like that before troubleshooting the wireless.

Try setting that Netgear to factory defaults, and make sure there aren't any firewall settings blocking any http traffic.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 2 posts