Pc won't boot up at all

• Rob_G
  • Born
  • Born
  • Rob_G

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ive been searching the net for a while to find somebody with a similar problem to myself but to no avail.

My PC turns on, there is power but it doesnt boot up. The monitor never turns on from stand by status, the cd/dvd drive wont open at all.

I didnt do anything inside my PC before this happened, but I did install a new game, and got a warning message about viruses, so I scanned the file with Norton, and it came up clean so I installed. The computer was fine all night, althought I did notice the hard drive being active for no apparent reason, and I went to bed.

My PC wouldnt work at all the next day, except I was able to open the cd drive to get a cd out, but once closed ive never been able to open it again.

Could this be a virus?

All my external equipment works, like the monitor, leads etc because Im using them in a different computer.

Ive taken out the battery to reset the bios, but nothings changed.

Could it be a hardware failure?

Ive had the computer for about 4-5 years now and have replaced the power unit once.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• DrummingAddict
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Mount Juliet, TN - Just east of Nashville

Post 3+ Months Ago

It is really hard to say what could be causing this. It could be several things: PSU, HDD, Bios, MOBO... I would guess BIOS or MOBO. Can you install you HDD into the other PC you mentioned? just as an added drive to see if it registers? Also try to swap out the PSU's to ensure that is not the issue.
  • Rob_G
  • Born
  • Born
  • Rob_G

Post 3+ Months Ago

Im not too hot with the insides of my PC so Im going to bring it into work tomorrow and let two guys have a look at it.

Hopefully it wont take me thre months to get it fixed this time - thanks for the advice btw.
  • deathblade
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: u.k

Post 3+ Months Ago

my comuter did this and it turned out to be the psu i believe it ran at a difo voltage to my old one
  • Artchy
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

maybe your hardware got fried from that game.
  • deathblade
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: u.k

Post 3+ Months Ago

must of been some beastly game to fry hardware
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would say it's either a problem with your PSU (which is my first guess), or your video card.

Try swapping out your PSU.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts