XP won't load with Samsung Writemaster SHS162LBEBN

• PolishHurricane
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was attempting to burn some of my MP3's to a CD as audio not digital (which I seldom do) and never attempted on my burner With Windows Media Player. It wasn't working on multiple types of CD media. I was getting really frustrated and knew that the CD already messed up writing again, but didn't feel like waiting 5 minutes for WMP to realize "Oh hey, we failed burning" and change the 20% to 100%, so I just killed the WMP process while it was in the middle of messing with my CD drive. I know it was stupid, I was just pissed off, so I did it, damn thing wouldn't work anyway. Play with fire and get burned right?

ANYWAY, even though the damn thing probably still won't work I want to flash it and give it another go with Nero instead of WMP. Only problem is I don't know how to reset it to factory settings or flash it without getting windows booted first. I tried disabling the thing off of the boot in the BIOS, basically windows won't start if it's plugged into the PSU and the mobo.

This is their firmware website (for my version): http://www.samsung.com/support/products ... &language=

They give you a bin file and a live update tool (that only works on xp). The bin file is 2MB, so I'm guessing you can only put that on a CD which I can't do, am I screwed?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Im confused abit. What are you trying to flash and/or reset to factory defaults? I've never heard of a CD drive that has firmware.
  • casablanca
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I've never heard of a CD drive that has firmware.

All CD/DVD drives have firmware written on an EEPROM chip and you can flash them just like flashing a BIOS.

PunkPuke: Have you tried pulling out the data cable of the CD drive and then booting your system? After booting, you could plug the cable back in and flash it.
  • PolishHurricane
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

casablanca wrote:
Quote:
I've never heard of a CD drive that has firmware.

All CD/DVD drives have firmware written on an EEPROM chip and you can flash them just like flashing a BIOS.

PunkPuke: Have you tried pulling out the data cable of the CD drive and then booting your system? After booting, you could plug the cable back in and flash it.

LOL is that safe? I guess I'll try it, I don't exactly know how to flash haha.

*EDIT* It doesn't work...
  • PolishHurricane
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Anybody out there that hasn't seen this yet know how by any chance? Basically I'm trying to find a way to reprogram/rest my cd/dvd drive to factory default settings. Anybody know if there is a floppy or something I could boot my computer with that would fix it?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts