wont start

• schase02
  • schase02

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok heres one that has me scratching my head.

Its an older HP 761n.

Not long ago the Power Supply went out - got a new power supply and all chugged along happily. But at the same time the onboard Video also wouldn't initialize.

No problem, stuck in a PCI 4mb video card and all chugged along happily.

Then that card seemed to burn out - according to my friend who owns it the screen flashed a few times on booting up would get to the press F8 on loading windows2000 and reboot itself.

So I plugged in a AGP, computer came right up, figuring that the PCI video card burned out (it was an old card) the owner got a in-spec 4x agp and installed it. That one kept cycling also - even though she pressed VGA mode, it still wouldnt come up. She went into BIOS and disabled the onboard video - now here I'm a little fuzzy on not knowing exactly what she did in there. It then did a few cycles and wham nothing, black screen.

So now i've got it again, I tried a AGP card I have - nothing, I tried a different PCI card - nothing, we're talking no POST beeps, nothing visible at all on the screen. I cannot hear the harddrives spool up, but I think its not even getting to that point.

I cleared CMOS with the Jumper, still nothing, lights will turn on and off on the keyboard if I press capslock or numlock, and the fans in the case and power supply come on ok.

Any suggestions i've overlooked?
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

It may be the Power Supply going out on you. It doesn't seem like a video problem to me. Try using a different power supply, maybe one that is rated at a higher wattage.

It could also be your motherboard, but I wouldn't jump to that just yet.....try other things first.

Is the computer still under warranty from HP or did you not go with the extended warranty?
  • schase02
  • schase02

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks,

its beyond warranty at this point.

Little further trouble shooting I did last night.

Tested Power Supply - checked out ok
Where I couldn't hear the harddrives spool up - I yanked out the ram chips to at least see if I could get a POST error beeps.

Not a single peep out of it.
  • MikeB2204
  • MikeB2204
  • Loc: GA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've had a similar problem like this before, where the system worked just fine and a few parts burned out then nothing happened. I was told it had something to do with the motherboard going bad, that it caused more power to be sent to like the PCI cards and burned them up. Then the board just burned out and that's why it wouldn't boot up.

After replacing the motherboard, it popped right back online and even the PCI modem that I thought had died on me worked again. I think it was just the flow of power to the PCI slots just burned out somewhere along the line and the motherboard itself just gave up after awhile.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts