workstation/server connection problem with new router

• jfvb1225
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Ohio

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay here's the problem:
I've installed a new Netgear FVS318v3 wired business router for a client who had a Linksys residential router in place. The reason for doing this is because they wanted to have some control (keyword and url blocking) to slow down some of the unauthorized internet use. They also wanted more security that this router provides with solid SPI and Denial of Service protection. They have a server driven program that all the workstations connect to using telnet. Everything works fine except the workstations can't connect with the server that deploys the program. I'm thinking that there's a port problem (specifically port 23) causing the connection problem but I can't seem to sort it out. Any suggestions are appreciated. BTW...All the machines are Windows XP and they are all seeing each other and able to connect to the internet via the new router. My line of thinking is that it's a port forwarding issue just like opening a port for gaming....not sure though.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ScienceOfSpock
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Las Vegas

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not familiar with that router, but this came up as the first result in a google for "telnet FVS318v3":
http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_file ... 114PAnchor
  • jfvb1225
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks, actually I had just finished reading that page and bookmarking it. Usually I'd have no problem setting up a new router, it's just this one program they use to do their dispatching etc... If I replace the new router with the old one....problem gone so I know its something this new box is blocking that the old one didn't.
  • jfvb1225
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

solved problem myself. Thanks!
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Care to share how you solved it in case someone else has this problem?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts