X800Pro compatibility

• morphnike
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • morphnike

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can you give me some suggestions?

I want to buy a graphic card Asus ATI X800 Pro, but I have an old motherbord (A7V... for AMD Athlon 2200+).
I don't think that the X800 will run on his full capacity on my motherboard.
But there is also X800 PCI-E of which they tell me you can plug it in on a PCI-slot. how does that work?
Is PCI faster than AGP (acceleration)?
how do you plug it in on a PCI? Does it have to be a special PCI or do you just plug it on like on a AGP?

What are my options???

Please HELP.

Thank you in advance.
  • Skudor
  • Skudor
  • Loc: South Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

No it won't work cause there is a big difference between PCI Express and the normall PCI slot. In short it's a tottally diffrent slot.

I'll suggest go with the 9800 it's uses the same chipset as the X800 but the only difference is that the X800 use PCI Express and the 9800 uses AGP.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yep the 9800 Pro/XT is just as good. PCI Express should not factor because we have not yet bottlenecked AGP. I personally think the Geforce 6600GT is a powerful card and value for money.

The 9800 Pro will run Half Life 2 at 60fps on 1024x768 on AMD2800 /Intel 2.8GHz so guestimate with your slower CPU will run it at a very playable 50fps (Lowish AF and AA).
  • morphnike
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • morphnike

Post 3+ Months Ago

thank you guys
I think I'll buy a 9800Pro
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Skudor wrote:
I'll suggest go with the 9800 it's uses the same chipset as the X800 but the only difference is that the X800 use PCI Express and the 9800 uses AGP.

Johan007 wrote:
Yep the 9800 Pro/XT is just as good.

Not true at all. The X800 is a completely different generation of graphics cards than the 9800 series.

Radeon 9800 Series
Radeon X800 Series

There is quite a difference. Also, the X800 is available in both AGP and PCI-Express. Currently, the AGP models are much more popular.

The X800 series is a huge leap from the 9800 series and this will become even more apparent in about 6 month when more and more games using the advanced features of this video card generation are released.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh dear really sorry I got it confused with something like the X600XT I think and I really should know better! The X600 is actually slower than the 9800 Pro. The X800 is the 16 parallel pixel pipeline monster that costs a fortune.

Radeon 9800 Pro is still the best value for money card around and will still run Half Life 2 at the said speeds in my post.

Radeon XT is little overpriced and your better getting a Geforce 6800 128MB at that range.

If your made of silly money then do go for the X800 but not me.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts