Your HDD/Partition setup

• PenTaGon
  • Student
  • Student
  • PenTaGon
  • Loc: FL

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm wondering how you pc gurus setup your hard drives/paritions. I was told for optimal performance I should have my OS on one HDD/partition programs on another and bulk storage on another HDD all together. Anyone have a similar setup? I'm not sure how i'd go about seperating my program files from the OS.

thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Basically leave one hard drive for your operating system/programs and another for storing files (mainly in case you get hit with a virus on your C drive, you want to keep it as far as possible from your important documents). On one hard drive you can make a partition for the windows o/s and yes, it possible to create a separate partition to store your program files.

Basically when you install a program, you can install it to the D drive, for example, but the start up files and registry settings will all be saved in the C drive. So if something ever happens to your C drive where you had to format, you would lose the registry settings, but all the program files will still be stored in the D drive. Then if you try and run whatever program from the D drive, it would ask you to re-enter the programs serial number or whatever so that it can be saved back into the registry. And if the program doesnt require any authentication, it would most like run as usual. Save you some recovery time. A long explanation to a short problem!
  • PenTaGon
  • Student
  • Student
  • PenTaGon
  • Loc: FL

Post 3+ Months Ago

So when i install programs it automatically saves the registry to the C: drive? Is there any way to change the default to another drive?
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

PenTaGon wrote:
So when i install programs it automatically saves the registry to the C: drive? Is there any way to change the default to another drive?

The Registry file is part of your OS, it contails detailed information about your PC including all programs that are currently installed.

When your PC [ & other software ] loads, it looks for the Registry file in a certain place, if you were to move the Registry file, the PC would not boot because it would not be able to find the file.

So basicaly you cannot move the Registry file, it is automaticaly placed in the C:\ drive when you install the OS.

You can choose where you want the program you are installing to be saved to, [ I.E. as Daremedy said, the D:, E: or F: etc drive ] but the information the registry needs and the registry itself will be saved to the default location.
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

lucassix wrote:
http://www.ozzu.com/mswindows-forum/defualt-install-drive-t39551.html

Man of few words :P
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sometimes a few words are all that is needed. :)
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

True
  • horkam
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Central, KY

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you are using two partitions and setting up programs on the second I suggest exporting the registry keys for each program. For example, if you have installed a game like Diablo II to your second drive you can go to HKLM/software and highlight the blizzard software key, click registry from the top menu, and export the entire key. Save it in your Diablo II install directory with a filename that you can easily recognize. The next time you have to reinstall, all you have to do is make sure that your programs partition has the same drive letter as before the install and then double click the .reg file that you have placed in each directory you want to work with your new installation and let it enter the new string...Ready to go. This has worked with 95% of the programs and games that I have installed, the only exception is software that tends to sling files into other directories on your system drive. Typically progs like MS Office and the like are not configurable this way.

This has saved me hours of time when a reinstall is needed.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts