1and1.com?¿

• Achilles
  • Born
  • Born
  • Achilles

Post 3+ Months Ago

I see these ads everywhere in magazines. I was wondering if this website hosting company is worth while?¿
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• virtualwebc
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Achilles wrote:
I see these ads everywhere in magazines. I was wondering if this website hosting company is worth while?¿

I can't ever say that I have heard or seen an add for them before?
Of course I can't not say that I wouldn't mind a shot at earning your business I own a hosting company but hey, If they spend allot of big money on advertising campaigns like you see they are probaly at least very decent If they have the package you want an the price seems right I say give it a try.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

i've seen their ads, and know a few people on their service. Half say it's good, half say it's bad.
I don't think the percentages favor them in this case.
  • djallan
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • djallan
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

1and1.com is one of the largest hosting companies in the world according to a number of posts that I've read. I believe head office is in England where they advertise extensively.

They recently had a promotion for free hosting for 3 years.
I scooped an account. I have a site posted on their servers
http://www.freedirect.tk that I haven't had any problems with.

I haven't had the need for support so I don't know if they respond quickly or know what they are talking about but uptime is very good.
  • Achilles
  • Born
  • Born
  • Achilles

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thnks for the feedback!!
  • webinv
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • webinv

Post 3+ Months Ago

Greetings,

I have a couple sites hosted by 1and1.com. The company's administrative area is very slow. I use a DSL modem most of the time and it sometimes takes awhile to load the pages. The company reaches out to a variety of people. Their servers are reliable. I have never had my sites go down. There options are not the best, but they let you do most anything you might need to.

Overall it's a reliable web host that you can count on. It's not the best, but for the price and options available it is worth looking into. I personally like being able to get all of the new domains I buy for $5.99 a year instead of $10 or more elsewhere.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

webinv wrote:
Overall it's a reliable web host that you can count on. It's not the best, but for the price and options available it is worth looking into. I personally like being able to get all of the new domains I buy for $5.99 a year instead of $10 or more elsewhere.

http://www.godaddy.com = $8.95/yr is their normal price, and currently on sale
for $7.95. There's quite a few others out there that are less than $10.
  • thecodman
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: CT, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know about their hosting; but I do know that configuring their domains is a pain in the neck.
  • apple2004
  • Born
  • Born
  • apple2004

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would not recommend 1and1 hosting since their customer support sucks. Try to find their support number in their webpage yourself. It's hard to find! Call the support line and see how long you wait until someone response you call.

I am one of their share hosting customer and they will reply your
email at least 24 hours you send it to them for emergency support.
They always tell you there is no downtime record until you keeps your
own log.

If you don't visit your site that often you will not notice the downtime
but if you do or doing e-commerce need your customer to visit your site, you will soon get emails from your customer that they can't get connect to your site because the site will be down at least once per two days and the downtime is from 15 mins to 45 mins.

Stay away from this webhosting if you can... :(
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Their servers are fast but 1&1 do suck. Had a trial of the dedicated server this year and the technical support was terrible and you could not point your URL's to the hosting if you have your domains with another company so we chose to cancel and I am not sure if my friend who paid for it got his money back.

Last year for some reson 1&1 could not charge my debit card and only credit cards and this is a real pain in the ass when it runs out but last year the system would not take my card even though I pay my bills in full every month.

Try a good US hosting company like http://www.protecsupport.com
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

*ahem* Image
  • jlknauff
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would reccomemd using some of the users here that have hosting companies. In doing that, you're helping them to build or grow a buisness and it's more likely that they will help you more than someother company. I can say thit both because I know they are more than willing to help based on their posts here, and because I do business with some of the people in this forum and know how great their service is.

Two that you should definately check out are Blue city hosts and Unflux

http://bluecityhosts.com/
http://www.unflux.com/
  • SSH-Raj
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

and me! http://www.supersweethosting.com
:)
  • thecodman
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: CT, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

take a look in my sig for some more great hosting ..... :)
  • phpservers
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • phpservers

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have to admit that 1and1 are great webhosts amongst those such as rackspace... they are like the ebay of the webhosting world.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

the ebay of the hosting world?

Full of con-artists and scammers? ;)
  • phpservers
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • phpservers

Post 3+ Months Ago

ebay of hosting world: lots of advertising, little customer support however the site generally gives you what it promises

'con-artists and scammers': please dont tell me that you arent aware of the term 'overselling'...

google search results....
unlimited webspace = 313,000
unlimited bandwidth = 801,000

... I think the hard drives that provide unlimited diskspace are still in the beta stages; the same with the T4 connections that provide 10terrabit per day.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

phpservers wrote:
'con-artists and scammers': please dont tell me that you arent aware of the term 'overselling'...

Yes I am, which was exactly the point of my comment.
  • Kally
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Kally

Post 3+ Months Ago

I got myself a three-year free account with 1and1 a while back. Problem is, I forgot my account name and password. :lol:
  • sumapark
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Germany

Post 3+ Months Ago

1and1 isnt an uk company, its german. In germany they are one of the most popular hosters, prices are moderate, service and performance are good
  • rDolay
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • rDolay

Post 3+ Months Ago

1- 1and1 have headoffices at England and Germany
2- 1and1 is a middle big web hosting copmpany http://www.webhosting.info/webhosts/rep ... AND1.CO.UK 25K domain

If you think that they are dedicated servers provider then i could claim that they are a small company.

http://www.webhosting.info/webhosts/rep ... ERVERS.NET 145K domain

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 21 posts