• madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi everybody,
Just wondering about copyrights..

To get a copyright like c-site from godaddy which costs 14.95,
is it necessary ?

is it per year or once-off fee?

isnt website's contents (by default) copyrighted?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://allsands.com/Writing/copyrightregist_rtz_gn.htm
http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/ac ... 1073791359
http://www.societyofauthors.net/faqs/copyright.html

Copyright, as the name suggests, is a right. You do not have to pay for copyright, you pay for patents, which are entirely different. Everyone is entitled to use © if they want (as long as you do own the copyright)

Enforcing copyright is a different matter and it is that that you pay money for. They are basically charging you a fee so that if you need to go to court over copyright, you are better protected and have better evidence.

It's up to you whether to do it or not. But think how difficult would it be to <i>prove</i> without a doubt, that the material belongs to you.
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk

Post 3+ Months Ago

yep yep. I know what you mean.
thats where i am coming from too. by default, its copyrighted.

- btw, this is for a non-profit organisation
but resources in there, such as audio recordings and literacy works are nto to be copied.

godaddy is providing support in that area. from what I can see from their description online, i can get certificate which in turn, is issued by US copyright office...

but ,
in the event of copyright infringements, is it a sure-win case WIth this certificate (issued by US copyright office) ??????
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

No such thing as a sure-win case. Does your org have an lawyer? You're better off asking him instead. You don't need to get a 3rd party to issue some certificate... You DO have to file for copyright, but only in certian cases. Sometimes, just having a way to prove you made something before someone else is enough (like mailing yourself a copy so that it has a postage date stamped on the package, and then never opening the package).

Copyright laws are very tricky. Some parts are very cut and dry, other part... not so much. If someone has a clearly defined copyright, then it's simple, but if not... well... it's hard to say. If you are really interested in obtaining copyrights, you need to be talking to a attorney, not GoDaddy.

CARE (the org I work for), has literally hundreds of thousands of photos (probably over 500K, and hundreds, if not thousands, of hours of video, in our media library, all copyright CARE. We, however, have three full time, very rabid (but also very good) lawyers who, among other things, keep track of all that legal mumbo jumbo for us.

.c
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk

Post 3+ Months Ago

cool thanks. i get it. :-)
  • virtualwebc
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

As I have stated before in posts on this forum I own a Web Design / Hosting Company Wich is now a US corporation. Being an actual corporation will help you in a copyright dispute in US courts I am not familiar to how it works ouside of the US but thats beside the point.

What happened with this situation in web design the client of course must supply you with the content and text for there site at least a large majority of it any way. I had a client from a large South Eastern based mortgage company that is a corporation, actually copy word for word another mortgage companies web site from another state, this company only being a sole partnership any way stumbled upon my clients site. Now of course thinking ahead, and this is a good tip for new web designers to listen to, in my contract with the client they have to sign a release from our company for any copyright infringement. This saved us a ton of money if we would have been sued could have possibly put us out of business back then. Any way this other mortgage sure enough filed a legal suite aginst my client the bigger corporation. Of course both sites had the little copy right symbol on there site. It was figured a sure thing that my client would have lost and had to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to this other company. They go to court over it both proclaiming that they were the first ones to publicly release there text on there site both thinking that they had the right s to the content because they had the copyright symbol on there site well they were both sadly mistaken it was never filled with the US copyright office what ever that is I will assume somthing kind of like a patent office but yet they handle copyrights. any way either one of them had a legal foot to stand on but my client the corporation was awarded all right s to the site for the simple fact that it was a corporation and the other was not. The poor guy from the smaller company was given a court order to change his site. Then of course the corporation filed for the copyright and got it.

Moral of the story the higher legal entity status that you have when it comes down to it the better. Same thing for .coms now my company is a legal entity cororation say you owned virtualwebconcepts.com because I Am a legal corprate entity I can sue you for th e domain and win. Now of course this would probaly take years in court to fight but the final out come would be I would win. So I would suggest any thing that you can do to legitamise the fact that you have a actual strong legal tie to the materials in question I would do any thing that I could as far as filing with a company like what you have mentioned in the post for the simple fact that you can produce a legal binding dated document saying when your content was created. Then at least you would have a foot to stand on if a legal situation ever arrose. Hope this experiance helps you.
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk

Post 3+ Months Ago

cool virtualwebc, that was certainly helpful in other ways

but it doesn't make sense to me that yr client who copied off the competitor's, won the case.
even though his legal binding dated document content was dated later than his competitor....

Simply coz yr client's a corporation?
  • virtualwebc
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

It is odd and shocking both. But thats what happened. Once you are granted a corporation status it is like a whole new world. That business is concirered about the same as a humanbeing it is a living breathing entity, That you have to take care off and keep track of every single penny or you can wind up behind bars. There are Corporate Tax Shelter benefits that make it worth the hassle in some cases.
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
That you have to take care off and keep track of every single penny

point taken. :wink:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts