IP in IE address field instead of URL and accessing file

• timc
  • Born
  • Born
  • timc

Post 3+ Months Ago

Apologies if this forum is inappropriate for this question.

I've had my small business website, based on IIS/windows server 2003, running for awhile and it's been adequate.

However, I'm make two changes and also

1) When one navigates to my website, the IE address field changes to the IP address explicitly, instead of showing the current URL. (http://www.rteamworks.com)

How can I change this? I used Front Page to generate these pages, if this is important to know.

One of the consequences of this problem is that I can't use multiple websites on my server because the URL must have the Host Header value to filter sites.

2) get my website indexed by search engines like Google.

To get Goole to index your website regularly they need two things: site survey and be able to "verify" your website by reading a file stored off your home page.

I have placed the file Google provides off my home page, but I cannot figure out why webserver won't allow access. It's an empty file with a specific name. I've checked permissions, etc. I would like to chat via email with someone about my attempts. I'd be happy to summarize in a post if/when I solve the problem.

Thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

For question #1 ....

Firstly, are you hosting this on your own home cable connection (via Comcast in Huntsville)?
I really *really* do not recommend that for a business site -- aside from the fact you are breaking the 'fair use' policy you agreed to.

However, that having been said I will make the following hypothesis based upon some cursory examination.

Did you used to host with NetNation out of Canada? If you have your domain registered with Domain People AND you are using their name services, why would you still have your DNS records pointing to NetNation's IP?

Your domain name resolves to a NetNation owned IP; 204.174.223.28.
If you attach to that IP directly, you find a place-holder as it were for a domain.

If you attach to that IP and include a crafted host header for rteamworks.com, it displays the redirect (302) to http://68.62.179.113/index.htm.

In short, you are still sending traffic to NetNation's IP, which is redirected to your home cable connection IP. You can't redirect to your domain name, as it would then resolve back to the origination point and you would have a loop.

So my guess is, because your IP can change with a cable connection, you have your IP being resolved at NetNation to remain static -- counting on the fact they will keep the redirect in place (which they won't do forever, especially if they find out what you are up to).
However, because you do this, you have no choice but to redirect to the IP. This means you cannot have any real content at NetNation, thus eliminating the possibility of URL rewrites.

So here's what you need to do. Find yourself a REAL host, this is a business, after all ... right? Once you do, you can change your DNS records at domain people to point at the IP provided by the new host OR transfer domain DNS to their nameservers via your panel with domain people.

Are there ways to resolve your problem and still keep the webserver at your home on your cable connection? Yes. Will I divulge them, no. Simply put I cannot knowingly aid you in breaking your terms of service agreement with your provider -- that would be irresponsible of me.

The very fact you don't know how to accomplish said task, tells me you should not wager the future of your business on your knowledge of IT. I feel I would be additionally irresponsible if I opted to assist you in potentially caused detriment to your online presence.

Do yourself a favor, find a host. there's lots of them on this board and I am sure they would be more than willing to PM you with offers.

NOTE: I said PM guys. :)

Cheers.
  • timc
  • Born
  • Born
  • timc

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'll hold my tongue, so to speak, but I haven't been "ripped a new one" like this in awhile, AND offered some good advise at the same time. In any case, I will take your advise in several ways.

Thanks
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

timc wrote:
I'll hold my tongue, so to speak, but I haven't been "ripped a new one" like this in awhile, AND offered some good advise at the same time. In any case, I will take your advise in several ways.

Thanks

I am sorry you think I 'ripped you a new one'; that most certainly was not my intention.
You asked a very pointed question and I did my level best -- given the amount of time I had to survey the situation -- to answer it.
If there were things you would have rather kept hidden from view, perhaps the wisest option is NOT to ask people to investigate.
I apologize if my remark about your IT skills seemed cruel or insensitive, but I was desperately trying to make you aware of the fact you were placing yourself and your livelihood at risk.

I sincerely hope you are able to work out your issues.
  • timc
  • Born
  • Born
  • timc

Post 3+ Months Ago

:thumbsup:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts