Again, but a different project - Hosting size

• George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am using an old hosting I'd used in my early stage learning web-programming, not really sure right now what is its bandwidth. But this bothers me for some time now, that is how do I know what size of the bandwidth do I need for a phpBB forum that have about 100 posts in the next 1 - 2 months, (that was the expected growth). Maybe it will increase by 5% in 1 year, if everything is good.

What do I need to look into if I am going to upgrade my existing host to a better one?, like it can increase the speed, or size for the forum.

Thanks, greatly appreciate your time.
:)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

To really understand what you need for an upgrade you need to keep track of stats and past bandwidth usage. That's the only real way to tell.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Bandwidth allotment: 300,000 MB
Disk space allotment: 10,000 MB

That is my current database information.

Is this enough? I feel it's pretty slow and I don't think it's caused by some codes error because there isn't any load error at all in all browsers I've viewed.

Thanks,
  • Tonzilit
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think your host must inform you if your web site will overload their server and they will ask you to update your plan.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks, Tonzilit...still spending more time on my current host to get to know them better.

• asson
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • asson

Post 3+ Months Ago

For some reasons of the security I think that you can get account on other web hosting company to have web sites separated. That even better then reseller account and if you are in the SEO network taht is much more better. There are lots of companies niowaday which are mot oversell and which are stable. Once you allow to host your web site with companies like lunarpages.com or glowhost.com or site5.com you will continue with no regret.
But this concern is little bit more expensive then say reseller web hosting
  • harrysmith
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • harrysmith
  • Loc: Leeds

Post 3+ Months Ago

@George

100 posts in 1 - 2 months is not a big figure really, you can host such a forum even on shared hosting plan. you will have to look at your traffic stats regularly so that you can calculate required bandwidth for future. MOst host send you couple of notifications once you reach 80% of your allotted resources thus you can upgrade your hosting plan to higher level.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you harrysmith, and everybody who read and answered, haven't got enough time to answer this, but thanks it helps a lot. As for the 100 posts, yeah I admit it's very slow posts. Now I figure that it could be like 200 posts in 1-2 months, I imagine you'd say it doesn't make much difference but thanks I'd just keep with my shared hosting plan for now, and hopefully they will send me a message about my flood limit.

Thank you, everybody.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts