Ajax not working on server - htaccess?

• mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you take a look at this site:

http://monsterresolution.net/

You'll notice that the image placeholders are showing but the images are not. The code works perfectly when executed on my computer, but when I upload them to the server they stop working. I'm thinking this might have something to do with the htaccess file. Is there a command in the htaccess file that would disable ajax from working?

You can see the same site with the exact same code and file structure on a different server and see it working:
http://www.xaetrex.net/vws/monster/
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, the server is telling me it's Apache/2.0.52 (Red Hat). I'm guessing your test system is on Windows ?

Your thumbnails directory is named "thumbnails" in your code, but it is named "thumbNAILS" on your filesystem. There is a difference on *nix systems when it comes to upper and lower case. Windows will treat "thumbnails" and "thumbNAILS" as the same.

Also, you might want to look into preventing directory listing in your images directory. It's usually not a good thing for people to be able to cut parts of the URL off in their browser and look around like I did to discover this. :)
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not too worried about security. I figure if someone's going to steal images or code than they'll find a way to do it no matter how much security I implement.

What you mentioned solved the problem instantly. I had no idea *nix considered filesystems to be case sensitive. I've been struggling with trying to get this to work for 5 days now and am extremely relieved. Thanks a ton JB!
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

If someone wanted to break in to your house and steal your TV bad enough they're going to find a way in eventually, but that doesn't mean you should leave your door unlocked so the neighbors curious kids can walk in while you're away.

It might not seem important, but letting little things like that go actually works as an incentive for people that are looking for things to exploit. They figure, "If they're enough of a noob to leave directory listings open, what else did they slack on ?" :)
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: San Diego

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
If someone wanted to break in to your house and steal your TV bad enough they're going to find a way in eventually, but that doesn't mean you should leave your door unlocked so the neighbors curious kids can walk in while you're away.

It might not seem important, but letting little things like that go actually works as an incentive for people that are looking for things to exploit. They figure, "If they're enough of a noob to leave directory listings open, what else did they slack on ?" :)

I second this. Security isn't about not being able to break in - it's about making it look like it's not worth it to break in.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts