Any good start up guides for hosting a website?

• aznric3boi91
  • aznric3boi91

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm new to this website hosting. Here are a few questions I have had for a while.

1. I wanted to know if there are any good step by step tutorial.
2. I want to host my website to the public from home. Is that even possible?
3. What kind of hardware and software should I start off with as a beginner? I currently own a windows 7 machine and a MBP. Would you recommend me buying a server instead?

Thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• charcoal
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry for question, I need to clear it, do you need to start hosting business or host your personal website?
  • Injunction
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

aznric3boi91 wrote:
I'm new to this website hosting. Here are a few questions I have had for a while.

1. I wanted to know if there are any good step by step tutorial.
2. I want to host my website to the public from home. Is that even possible?
3. What kind of hardware and software should I start off with as a beginner? I currently own a windows 7 machine and a MBP. Would you recommend me buying a server instead?

Thanks

Hi,
1. There are a lot of step by step tutorials you just need to search in google.
2. Yes it's possible if your ISP allows it
3.IF you want to settle server you'll need to buy server machine with good CPU, 2gb ram minimum and fast HDD. About Software it's better to start with Linux based OS, but it will be very hard to start because it demands a lot of knowledge.
If you only start I suggest you to start with free hosting providers to check how all this works
  • aznric3boi91
  • aznric3boi91

Post 3+ Months Ago

I want to make some sort of social networking website and forum where people log in and log out.

I have a 3.2 Ghz dual core and 1 Gig with 180 gig ram set aside right now.

I was thinking of using it as the server but dont know where to start.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

First pick an operating system. I personally prefer linux and the sites I'm going to link you to are for setting up a linux server.

When you talk about web servers you mostly hear about LAMP stacks, which stands for: Linux Apache MySQL PHP. The operating system is Linux, below are two guides to install the other parts of the system.

Apache & PHP - http://cloudservers.rackspacecloud.com/ ... HP_install

MySQL - http://cloudservers.rackspacecloud.com/ ... stallation

This particular guides are for CentOS which is very simular to Fedora Core. If your looking to use Ubuntu some changes would have to be made, mainly with the install command.
  • aznric3boi91
  • aznric3boi91

Post 3+ Months Ago

What are the pros and cons for these different linux systems?
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Fedora Core usually has the latest releases of software.
Cent OS runs a little behind, but very stable.
Ubuntu is kind of in the middle.

The big difference between Ubuntu and the other is that Ubuntu has no root user. Ubuntu is a branch Debian, where as Fedora and Cent OS are branches of Red Hat. (Fedora is actually the "free release" of Red Hat. Its maintained by the Red Hat community)
  • aznric3boi91
  • aznric3boi91

Post 3+ Months Ago

fedora does not seem bad at at all after i looked over it.

Now, I want to know how to setup an environment that i could easily access remotely and update files and let the server run itself. So should I actually buy an actual server and customize it or can I just use any hardware?
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can pretty much use any hardware. No server will run itself :) but you can get them setup pretty close to not having much interaction with them.

There really isnt much of a differents between a server and a home computer. The hardware you may use might be slightly different. A lot of server motherboards support more ram and dual, tri and quad processors. For your needs though you could go to bestbuy and pickup a simple desktop and it would do the same thing (or a random extra computer). Some hardware is just classified as "server", but really its the same as anything else.

As far was remote access, for linux your looking at ssh (secure shell) which will allow you to log into the server and operate it remotely. If your the only person using the server you don't even need to worry about running a FTP serves either as you can transfer files over sftp which uses ssh.
  • aznric3boi91
  • aznric3boi91

Post 3+ Months Ago

i see..

now how about bandwidth? at home i have about a 15Mbps download and around a

im thinking about working off my macbook pro and then transferring files and using the server as a testing environment and then once it is done i can flip the switch and make it public. or is there other methods that might be better?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts