Any host offering multiple (100's) FTP logins?

• User #2
  • Student
  • Student
  • User #2

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am looking for a good host who offers multiple ftp logins.
I am talking about a few dozens of FTP members to start it out.
I don't think it will be more than a thousand customers, but... I will worry about that later.

Can anyone help me? Any info?
Thank you.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting
  • Loc: Wishing I was in Kicking Horse

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thats alot of ftp users - may I ask what sort of content you will be providing?

Assuming your content is legitimate - Most hosts do not put a limit on the number of ftp users - 12 is one thing, however, 1000 is something completely different. Once you get over 15 or so, you should probably be looking at a dedicated server.
  • Uncensored-Hosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree that most hosts offer this as an unlimited feature. I know we do on all but two (2) of our plans. I assume you intend to add the ftp users yourself via the control panel provided by the host?
  • Fitness4Living
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Belfast, Ireland

Post 3+ Months Ago

IX webhosting is unlimited.
Ive only managed to use 3 so far but the possibilities are endless...
The link is in my sig.
  • User #2
  • Student
  • Student
  • User #2

Post 3+ Months Ago

My client is thinking of an online photo lab.

If he has 100 customers FTP'ing their picture files to the lab, the web site must provide 100 different ftp account, right? with the seperate ID & Password.

If you have some other ideas please let me know.
Thank you
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,

Thanks for clarifying - often times when you see these sorts of requests it is of a different nature :)

Anyway, that aside - you could probably go for a small reseller account to start. I magine your storage requirements will be fairly high - as the requirement grows, both ftp and storage resources will dictate a need for a dedicated server.

Another way to approach this is to use a file manager solution like docman - thereby bi-passing the requirement for multiple ftp logins - however, again, this would necessitate a dedicated server as the php info file would need to be modified to allow for large file uploads, and no reputable host will allow uploads of this size in a shared environment (simply too much of a security risk with anything much above 2mb).
  • Uncensored-Hosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

They can:

Do anonymous ftp. Which requires a dedicated IP.

Issues different ftp credentials to each client. Useful if you want to receive and store the files in separate folders automatically.

Issue the same ftp credentials to multiple customers.

User #2 wrote:
My client is thinking of an online photo lab.

If he has 100 customers FTP'ing their picture files to the lab, the web site must provide 100 different ftp account, right? with the seperate ID & Password.

If you have some other ideas please let me know.
Thank you
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Unlimited FTP accounts is a feature set common in many hosts. Look around this forum and you should have no trouble finding a quality host with unlimited FTP accounts.
  • Fitness4Living
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Belfast, Ireland

Post 3+ Months Ago

great minds think alike TomK... :D
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Unlimited FTP accounts is a feature set common in many hosts. Look around this forum and you should have no trouble finding a quality host with unlimited FTP accounts.

Quote:
great minds think alike TomK...

People, lets be realistic here please - sure you can find many hosts that offer unlimited ftp accounts - however, the original poster indicated this as a requirement:

Quote:
I am talking about a few dozens of FTP members to start it out.
I don't think it will be more than a thousand customers

There is NO shared hosting account that can accomodate 1 account with 1000 ftp logins. The public ftp port on that server will simply clog up and become useless if even a % of those 1000 ftp users try logging in (not too mention all the other accounts on that shared server)

just because a company offers unlimited something, logic and limits still apply. Now, ftp accounts arent something normally limited by a provider - heck, I know we dont really attach a limit - other then 2 say reasonable use - and 1000 ftp users on a shared account is not reasonable - and I would be VERY skeptical of a provider that said they could accomodate this in a shared environment....

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts