I would love to buy hosting from them, but I am a little unsure
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

there must be catch....

Thing is nucleo, can you afford to throw away $6 for a six month trial :lol:

At those prices, try em and see. Just host some crap on their server, and if everything goes ok with them, move your site over in a couple of months....
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: England

Post 3+ Months Ago

nucleo hi,
I would do as rtm223 advised, try it first then see, it really is too cheap lolol..never happy are we ..?
It may be ok, but be careful !
suzie.
:D
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

im gonan try it when i get the cash.
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

:shock: ,
suzie.

:P
http://ukhost4u.com/online/advanced.html and a free domain!!!
:wink:
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow

you think some hosts just overcharge?
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

over charge !! wheres over charge lmaoooo

£39 for the
whole year and a domain at say worth $20 =£10 what do you want nucleo..?
Thats if you are refering to my link of course!
Enlighten me lolol
suzie.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

$20 for a domain name? Man, I don't know where you been buying yours from, but I'm paying $6.95/yr :)
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

no
lol
i mean other hosts..
the 2 we have found are very very cheap.

other hosts, that charge £5-£20 p/m, considering these lol
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

nucleo lol,
Quote:
the 2 we have found are very very cheap
whew, thank the lord for that !!!

axe, the domain prices i see are " for two years" .
suzie.
:)
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

ahhh yes suzie, 2 years at $20 is far better than 1 year at $6.95 :lol:

Anyway, why are hosting plans so much different in price? I was looking at wiserhosting who do a year for £20. Then I looked at the "99.5% uptime". Just did a quick sum - thats the best part of an hour down every single week lol.

Is that what you are paying for with the more expensive ones? Better uptime, and maybe more control over what you can do? I don't really know I'm just wondering...

nucleo wrote:
when I get the cash

:shock:
dude thats lets than a fiver! You can't be that hard up?

As I said before, just host some stuff on there that you don't care about for the first little while, rather than waste time taking your site down transferring accross and then maybe having to move it all back again in a couple of weeks because this host turns out to be crap.

I think I'll be getting one of these accounts just to see.
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Anyway, why are hosting plans so much different in price

Well i don't really know as i have none right now, my board is hosted on a friends server..it works!

But to your question, well, i guess its how much bandwidth comes into the equation, up and downtime too, ext and stuff, not everyone does fp ext, PHP, MYSqual, ASP, not everyone supports these either.

BUT, my friend had downtime at Easter he took a break, he will have downtime this week from tomorrow well, midnight tonight, hols and working on the board, that means i have downtime too...till the 3rd of may.

When you are just starting to get some traffic..me..this is not so good rtm223 :cry: so i have explained to my friend that although i will stick with him i must get some space for my board, another one, same idea sort of an ext of my other one, a board my members can get to in downtime of the other one, does this make sense..?

This can be a re-direct when my friend is down, so i think i'm decided on ukhost, seems a decent host, i was hunting out a new domain but i get that free.
At tht end of the day look at the whole picture...then decide.
suzie
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

No I haven't sorted out hostimg for myself yet other than a couple of old geocities accounts i have - I use them for hosting pictures I want to post here :)

I think you get what you pay for mostly though. Like when you see the posts on here wanting free hosting, no adds and php support :shock: How exactly are the hosting company supposed to pay for bandwidth & hardware etc!

I get why virtual hosting and dedicated hosting are so much more when you get full root access, complete control and all that, but the hosts nucleo mentioned - like £20 a month - I just don't get how that works when they don't seem to offer anything extra?

Maybe with the more expensive ones they have more php modules installed or something? I've noticed you never get to see this what is installed on the cheaper ones until you have signed up and can get phpinfo()....
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm choosing uk host not only for my domain lolol but they have a choice of boards too, I just would'nt be able to manually upload the software myself so again ukhost seems the right one for me, at least in that respect!
Tomorrowi'll be learning how to skin a board..should be fun !

Quote:
wanting free hosting, no adds and php support
never seen any without adds, i would'nt even go there, lolol at what some people demand of a free host !! if they can find it let em post here :wink:
As for nucleo, well, he will decide his own fate in due course..if he goes to that $1 host..or he'll end up lol at us rtm223!

suzie.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm gonna buy me a $1 host (it might be the $2 one i need actually) just as a temp host for a site someones got me building. I'm gonna have a production version that isn't crawlable, just so they can see what it looks like.

I'll let people know how it goes with that host - but I don't have too high hopes. :lol:

Does ukhost not allow you to upload a board, or is it just that you dont have to do your own? Do you know anyone who is already with ukhost?

BTW always strikes me as strange how the verb "to skin" in the real world means to take the skin off, in computer terms means to put a skin on something..... :?
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nucleo wrote:
is this host legit
http://www.jc-host.com
I have been wondering, because there prices are very very low
I would love to buy hosting from them, but I am a little unsure

it does look tempting - with things like that I tend to live by the saying... "If it seems to good to be true, it usually is"
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Does ukhost not allow you to upload a board,
well i would imagine so rtm223! you'll have directories there to do that yourself if you wish, its just i would'nt know how.

Quote:
I'll let people know how it goes with that host - but I don't have too high hopes
that would be good rtm223.

Quote:
BTW always strikes me as strange how the verb "to skin" in the real world means to take the skin off, in computer terms means to put a skin on something

:D yea, strange is internet stuff right enough rtm223.

musik hi,
Quote:
"If it seems to good to be true, it usually is"

I agree and err on the cautious, be interesting to see what the others think.
suzie.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

As someone who has tried some of these kinds of hosts I've found they dont last long because they dont make any money and hosting costs for the person running things is not cheap. I now use powweb because they are so reliable.

It comes down to the question of whether you want cheap and nasty hosting or pay more and get what you pay for ;)
  • Tone2k11
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Tone2k11
  • Loc: Southampton - UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
It comes down to the question of whether you want cheap and nasty hosting or pay more and get what you pay for

Just because it is cheap it does not mean it is nasty. I have been with yrhost (http://www.yrhost.com) for quite a while now, and i have found them to be extremly reliable and excellent value for money.

The expensive are not always the best either.

However i do admit that it is always best to be cautious, but if you dont try it out you will never know. And may end up paying more then other people

Tony
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks good tone but as i don't use credit cards i'm afraid i could'nt go with them..shame it does seem ok too, i would have gone $25 dollar one cus i have $20 here i'm not using at the minute...should get it changed back again.

ukhost will accept a chq also they are in the uk in Fife, so i think decision is made for me..sending the chq today, hope to be up and running by mid week...probably sooner!
suzie.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Musik - I just had a look at powweb and that looks like a pretty sweet deal to me, about £50 a year. Can you pay monthly or is it one of those deals where they advertise price per month then expect you to pay for the whole year in advance....

Back onto the cheap and nasty topic, is there a simple awy to monitor down time on your site? Ie requesting a dummy file every half hour or something?
Any programs that will do this for you?
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

rtm223 wrote:
ahhh yes suzie, 2 years at $20 is far better than 1 year at $6.95 :lol:

Anyway, why are hosting plans so much different in price? I was looking at wiserhosting who do a year for £20. Then I looked at the "99.5% uptime". Just did a quick sum - thats the best part of an hour down every single week lol.

Is that what you are paying for with the more expensive ones? Better uptime, and maybe more control over what you can do? I don't really know I'm just wondering...

nucleo wrote:
when I get the cash

:shock:
dude thats lets than a fiver! You can't be that hard up?

As I said before, just host some stuff on there that you don't care about for the first little while, rather than waste time taking your site down transferring accross and then maybe having to move it all back again in a couple of weeks because this host turns out to be crap.

I think I'll be getting one of these accounts just to see.

haha
its not that
I need to get a bulk sum together, then open a bank account, then wire it to paypal

there is a lot more i need to consider

also
ukhost comes with cpannel, that is a great feature, and a great way to install scripts for your site

and the fact that you can install phpbb2/oscommerse/IPB and more with the click of a button :wink:
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think I'll be having a look at a few of these in depth tonight

after I have built my computer....
and tidied up a bit....
and found my birth certificate to stop my mum moaning....

Ho hum, maybe tomorrow...
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I signed...:handsup: i signed... :handsup: sent off the dosh this afternoon for ukhost....whoooo i'm on my way at last !!!

suzie.
  • djallan
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • djallan
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

jc-host appears to be a terrific deal - and may be - but know who you'll be dealing with. Check out
http://www.webuser.co.uk/cgi-bin/forums ... 3&part=all
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmm
i had a quick look thru

but
what does it really mean?

suzie wrote:
I signed...:handsup: i signed... :handsup: sent off the dosh this afternoon for ukhost....whoooo i'm on my way at last !!!

suzie.

let me know how you get on with them
I am leaning towards them now :d

and about the free domain name..
do you get a choice of TLD?

and what are the different ways to pay?
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

nucleo,

I gathered this:
Quote:
So is it a coincidence that jc-host.com is registered to a "Jack Collier" ?
but i saw nothing else really to get me to move to that host ! other than them saying its cheap, but whats cheap, i could buy a fur coat at a second hand shop, falls apart next day..well it was cheap lolol but if i go to harrods and buy a simular fur coat i can guarantee i'll have that coat for many years to come, hence "you get what you pay for".

Who's jack Collier anyway lololol
suzie.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

The only good thing about harrods is thatif you go to harrods you know you are being ripped off....
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

just seemed a lil odd that he lied about a lot of stuff, just to get some buyers...
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

rtm223,
Quote:
you know you are being ripped off
like i can afford harrods lol much less get ripped off by them :D
nucleo,
Quote:
just seemed a lil odd that he lied about a lot of stuff, just to get some buyers...
your a sensible bloke nucleo, you'll make the right choice for your next host!
suzie.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 93 posts