• User #2
  • Student
  • Student
  • User #2

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a watchmouse.com account.
That checks my websites' uptime.

But...
Is there a such thing that checks the hosts' uptime? especially the email server (or are they same?)

How do I check to see if the host/email provider has a solid uptime before making a purchase and moving files?

Thank you.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

You could always look on webhostingtalk.com and see how other people feel about the host's uptime.
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting
  • Loc: Wishing I was in Kicking Horse

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Is there a such thing that checks the hosts' uptime? especially the email server (or are they same?)

This really depends on the host. If a host is running single server environments - then yes, usually server uptime = server uptime (though it is conceivable that one service will have a different uptime then another service on that same server - however, over time, they will more then likely average out)

What you should look for is hosts that have a clustered environment, where mail is run off of a dedicated server (H-Sphere and Plesk support this if the hosts are configured as such). Clustering the mail service onto its own dedicated server(s) has a dramatic effect on overall service uptim

Quote:
How do I check to see if the host/email provider has a solid uptime before making a purchase and moving files?

Theres really only 1 way to know before you purchase - and thats if the host publishes 3rd party stats on their website (not many do, and for a reason might I add)
  • bizzzare
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • bizzzare
  • Loc: OC, NJ

Post 3+ Months Ago

All hosts having good uptime is very proud of it so you will see huge flashy image stating 99,999% uptime on the front page. Many of them have it somewhere else on the FAQ. Even if this is nowhere on the site you should always ask for that stat. From my own experience now when I got into troubles and one of my hosters went down for 5-7 hours weekly I wouldn't trust their word for 99,99 uptime. Yes even we have such problems :) good I have about 20 of them now so there is a choice.

You should always check for reviews for each certain hoster prior any purchase even when they have 30 days money back since sometimes even that doesn't work and you will have problems getting your money back.

We also have partners that check hosting speeds so you may use this one as well http://www.hostingspeeds.com
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting
  • Loc: Wishing I was in Kicking Horse

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
All hosts having good uptime is very proud of it so you will see huge flashy image stating 99,999% uptime on the front page.

LOL - that is exactly the problem - all these flashy images and empty promises...

Do not trust a hosts uptime unless they can provide you a significant history from a 3rd party monitoring solution.
  • john551
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • john551

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can check the hosts site and other sites hosted on the hosts server by using monitoring service like alertra.com. So that you can get a basic idea about the uptime for that host.

I would always go for a reputable webhost. So that I don't need to bother about uptime. You can find my top 10 at http://www.web-hosting-world.com
  • bizzzare
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • bizzzare
  • Loc: OC, NJ

Post 3+ Months Ago

May I ask you some questions? How independant your rating is? Do you get any interest for rating STARTLOGIC number 1? Why isn't it direct link from your site but some reffering link through Commission Junction if the rating is independant? How do you test the hosts?

Sorry if my questions are silly but it really looks like promotion paid rating.
  • Andy_Miller
  • Born
  • Born
  • Andy_Miller

Post 3+ Months Ago

User #2 wrote:

All you need is a third-party monitoring company which is capable of checking POP3 protocol.
We use web server monitoring and web load stress testing services at Dotcom-monitor.com.
Of course it is you who choses the company for yourself according to you budget, personal prefferences, etc.

--
added in 2 minutes
--
oops, I didn't see you want to find out the host's uptime BEFORE buying a hosting plan...
2 solutions:
1. take a freetrial and monitor the host uninterruptedly for the whole period of the trial
2. try to find companies who use the same host and just ask them ;)
  • PalSys
  • Born
  • Born
  • PalSys

Post 3+ Months Ago

If your host offers cPanel, your panel interface will typically offer uptime reports.

Your best bet is to speak directly with other users, or use a company that offers test packages (us!) ;)
  • benoitb
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Washington, DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alerta is another 3rd party company many hosting companies use.

Netcraft.com can also be used to monitor uptime of various hosts.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts