apache behind router.

• Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Loc: TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

alright im running a debian machine with apache. I can access it from a computer on my network via lan ip or something like lanip/index.html. i want to know how i would access it from outside the network. port forwarding is a go. i just cant figure out how i could get to it. i tried with my macbook and accessed it from the outisde the same way i would from the inside with the exception of wan ip replacing lan when on the outside. this isnt the case for the debian machine though.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

you just have to make sure port 80 in the firewall is open on your box and then go into your router and have it forward all incoming tcp traffic on port 80 to your debian box. i have a d-link router so after going to 192.168.0.1, inputting the admin username & pw it brings me to the main interface. from there i click the advanced tab and add my computer as a virtual server and specify private & public ports as 80 and that sets up everything else in the router for me. so do you have the port forwarded in your router? and if so, do you have the port open on your debian pc's firewall?
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man

Post 3+ Months Ago

port 80 is open and routed to my debian machine. as for debians firewall port 80 wouldnt me being able to connect from within the network with a differnt pc mean thats not a problem? im able to connect by typing http://192.168.10.108/apache2-default/. but lets say i wanted you to connect to it what would you have to type to connected to it cause
http://myip/apache2-default/ wont work.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

i think your ability to connect to it behind the router would mean port 80 on the pc is open but i'm not 100% positive. so we'll assume it is. if behind the router, theip/apache2-default/ works then on the internet side, it should be yourip/apache2-default/ or you could sign up for a free dns a dyndns.org which is kind of like a subdomain but theres a lot of choices. like i have willc0de4food.is-a-geek.com, my roommate has thunder.dvrdns.org, etc
what is the make/model of your router? does it have/did you open the port in the routers firewall? it should also have a DMZ or demilitarized zone, which basically acts like your pc isn't behind the router and is directly connected to the modem. you could try adding your debian box to the demilitarized zone and see if you can access it from the internet i.e.
Quote:
http://myip/apache2-default/
and if THAT doesn't work, you can be sure its a problem on the computer. if it does work, theres a problem with the router config but at least it would narrow things down.
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man

Post 3+ Months Ago

dude thanks a lot. i never knew what dmz was for. adding my debian box under dmz did the trick. yeah i already had a subdomain for it its just i couldnt access it. i had the ports open and everything (im very familiar with port forwarding) but i just couldnt connect to it from the outside or from the inside when i did http://wanip/apache2-default/ but everything is running nice and smooth. thanks a lot!
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

awesome, no prob :]

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts