Apache hosting

• WTF-AComputer
  • Student
  • Student
  • WTF-AComputer
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was told about something called Apache by a friend of mine. Apprently, I can host a site from my own computer. I went to the site and got very confused. Someone willing to explain this to me?

Thanks,

Brandon
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can host a site from your own computer if your ISP doesn't block it. Apache is one of the servers that you can use. It has to be downloaded and installed on the machine that will hold your web page. Also, you will have to use dyndns or something similar since you don't have a static IP address.
BUT
You're much better off paying a hosting company for a couple of reasons. It's not good to host a server on the same machine with your private files and you could have problems with your ISP, since you aren't paying for the bandwidth.
  • hostrea
  • Loc: OH-IO

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can host your site your self. Most people use it for development in there homes. I would be easier if you installed something like xampp. It is a package with apache, mysql, php and pearl. when it is installed you can decide to open ports on your firewall or just keep it local on your intranet.
  • firefox2442
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • firefox2442

Post 3+ Months Ago

But i dont see why , hosting is sooo cheap now
Moderator Remark: Excessive punctuation/emoticons removed
  • funnyface
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • funnyface
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

firefox2442 wrote:
But i dont see why , hosting is sooo cheap now

That is absolutely well and correct said here. If you look at godaddy, dreamhost, routhost.com you will realize how cheap can be web host and that will save you from headaches
:)
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hosting a site on your internet connection is never a good idea -- unless of course it's just a personal web site that won't get a great deal of traffic or one for which you will not offer an SLA with any customers.
not only does it violate the TOS with most internet access providers, they offer you no guarantee for uptime or for serving. They can cut your upstream or QOS it at will.
As others have said, there's no reason not to go with a reputable web host.
  • WTF-AComputer
  • Student
  • Student
  • WTF-AComputer

Post 3+ Months Ago

I guess. Just most these things require a credit card... Which I don't have.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

You guys don't have any sort of pre-paid credit cards that you can buy in your local Walmart-type store in Canada ?

Are you not of age, I don't see a birthdate in your profile here ?
  • WTF-AComputer
  • Student
  • Student
  • WTF-AComputer

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I'm quite young actually. Also, I live in a small town with a gas bar and a small local owned store. I am not of age to drive so I can't go a town over unless my parents want to. So, sometimes we go a month without leaving.
  • Samuraii
  • Student
  • Student
  • Samuraii

Post 3+ Months Ago

You know, there are many servers: Apache, Zeus, litespeed, etc. If you are looking for hosting provider which has Apache server, I can recommend you to have a look at 4java.ca, hqhost.net and site5.com - they offer pretty affordable hosting plans and have good support staff which will be able to explain you everything you want to know.
  • WTF-AComputer
  • Student
  • Student
  • WTF-AComputer

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alright, thanks samuraii. I'm going to try purgehosting.com for a bit. It's free. Only has one add.
  • Pof
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Pof

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would like to point out that free hosting services are not reliable. Of course it is possible that free web hosting companies are making income in some other way. They may thus make a little advertising income in that way. In general, if you run a business on the web, you will not want to take that kind of risk. Bad support and "down" times have a habit of occurring at the worse possible moments, such as during your tremendously ordering seasons. That's why I recommend you to deal with only paid hosting services and for recommendation, have a look at serverpoint.com because you will get what you pay for. So, I think that you will be not disappointed if you deal with paid hosting services.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts