Apache Port Forwarding with Linksys Router

• mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

I called linksys and they told me that my apache web server needs another port besides port 80 forwarded. I can't find the ports that the server uses for the web server part in the apache.org site course half of that reads like stereo instructions anyway. Anybody know where I can find the information so i can get my Server back on the web?

MTG
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you're running the server from home, it could be that your ISP is blocking port 80, even if they didn't in the past. You could try 8080. That would be the next in line.
  • mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am on a static IP business account and I am allowed to run a server on my cable line. The server is running with out the router in place but when I place the router in the middle so I can Hook up my VoIP line to the router. I then am unable to access my server. I found out that Apache also needs port 443 opened as well and when i do that nothing happens. I am not able to access my server behinde the router.

mtg
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

You may have to add an entry in your hosts file.
  • mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

What do I need add to my host file to listen port 80 and port443 to my main host file?

matt
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial51.html

That is one of many sites explaining the hosts file. If that one doesn't help, search google for others.
  • mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

I got it thanks I was able to get it fixed thanks for all your help guys. i even got my vutrual hosts running too woohoo!

mtg
  • alemao_brazil
  • alemao_brazil

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here is how I made it to work:

First point: You DON'T NEED to change the port Apache is listening at all ! Many solutions suggests to change the port, but it is NOT necessary. I have Apache listening at port 80 normally under TWO routers (the modem router and the wireless router)

You must :
1- Configure all routers and modems (some modems have an internal router, such as DLINK) to receive some UNUSUAL PORTS as '8081' to '8082' AND redirect those requests to the IP where your apache server is running, at the port 80. AVOID 8080 use 8081 or higher.

2- Put the hosts (both networks) in the DMZ (host at "DEMILITARIZED ZONE", in other words, out of policies)

There are 2 networks in my case: 10.1.1.1 (modem) e 192.168.1.1 (wireless router)

Ex:
Suppose a modem router which network is 10.1.1.1 and the Apache PC is AT 10.1.1.5 IP:
You must configure NAT - Virtual Servers acessing 10.1.1.1 / NAT / Virtual Servers:

PortStart......PortEnd......type...... dest IP........ dest PORT
...8081..........8082..........TCP..... 10.1.1.5........ 80

DMZ Host: 10.1.1.5 <- the ip used by the APACHE PC network.
To get it, run ipconfig at cmd prompt.

For the secondary router (wireless) which network is 192.168.1.1:
DMZ Host: 192.168.1.10 <- ip of the PC running Apache in the wireless router subnet.

To preview the site, DO NOT YOUSE YOUR HOME WIRELESS neither A COMPUTER CONNECTED AT YOUR HOME INTERNET NETWORK, because all you will see will be the MODEM ROUTER PAGE!!! You must access your site from OUTSIDE the home network (ex: use your mobile gsm internet, NEVER wi-fi !!!)

The scheme to access the site, so, lets suppose the current internet ip is 199.123.4.75:

http : //199.123.4.75:8081 OR
http : //199.123.4.75:8081/mywebsite

http : //199.123.4.75:8082 OR
http : //199.123.4.75:8082/mywebsite

REMEMBER, I got Apache running and STILL listening at port 80 !!!

Who does the magic are the ROUTERS, specially the first (modem) that redirects the ports
NAT- VIRTUAL SERVERS. DMZ is also essential. For both router configurations.

Regards and good luck.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

you could also use no-ip services to redirect a domain to your home server, could make it easy to find.
  • alemao_brazil
  • alemao_brazil

Post 3+ Months Ago

Zealous
I believe you are right. The problem is that I am a geek and electronics technician, so... I like to handle "the raw bits" of the things... For instance, I program in assembler language <- that the world see as pre-historical.
Other point: no-ip service makes you to depend on third party service. A self made solution lets you free.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

But you see i never really had a home server for open use, i have my development VM machine for development but that is locked off tight.

I have all ways had WHM/Cpanel in a data center. I feel if your going to do it right then mite as well go all the way and with competition being soo tight for hosting you can pick it up cheap as like my mate runs hobohost and small accounts go for $1 a month and that is where i started years ago with him. Now i got a few servers with sites scattered across them all.

But hey who am i to say how to setup, Go for gold how ever you want. as long as it works, it will float ya boat :)
  • alemao_brazil
  • alemao_brazil

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's the point.
It is NOT for commercial purposes. I did it just for learning pleasure. For commercial use, I prefer to pay decent host services. I explained that in this forum only because I saw many people in Google asking "Why I can't reach my server under a router". I think the answer now is well given.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts