Apache + router problem

• RMSe17
  • RMSe17

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, I attempted to set up a website on my PC, so I installed apache server on my WinXP. I just put random stuff for domain name and stuff, since I had no idea what else to put there. I tried my NAT address, and got the website to show up. Then I set up port forwarding (TCP 80), and typing out my external(real) address from my main PC and also from my laptop got the website to show up, but only when I am connected from the inside of my network. I get a time-out error when I try to contact my website from the "outside world." Any suggestions?

Thanks,
RMSe17
  • RMSe17
  • RMSe17

Post 3+ Months Ago

After chaning apache listening port to 8080 and port forwarding also to 8080, it works. But I want it on port 80, so that people dont have to insert port numbers into the webpage url ffs...
  • Casey
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Iowa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are you sure you're forwarding port 80 to the correct IP? It's pretty easy to make a typo with your IP address and not notice it.

Also, check the firewall settings on your router. Make sure it's not explicitly denying TCP port 80. This really sounds like a firewall problem, but since I haven't seen your setup, I really don't know.
  • Casey
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are you sure you're forwarding port 80 to the correct IP? It's pretty easy to make a typo with your IP address and not notice it.

Also, check the firewall settings on your router. Make sure it's not explicitly denying TCP port 80. This really sounds like a firewall problem, but since I haven't seen your setup, I really don't know.
  • BartAfterDark
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • BartAfterDark

Post 3+ Months Ago

Some routers run there Webinterface on port 80. Double check that
  • Casey
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ahh, good call. The router probably has it's own webserver (most do), so it isn't forwarding port 80 because it accepts port 80 requests.

Sometimes you can disable access to the router's configuration from the outside. I wonder if this would make it forward the requests.
  • RMSe17
  • RMSe17

Post 3+ Months Ago

yea, I am forwarding 80 to the right IP, and yes, the internal router's front-end is sitting on port 80, but I have it turned off from the outside, so in theory it shouldn't interfere with external port 80 request
  • BartAfterDark
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • BartAfterDark

Post 3+ Months Ago

RMSe17 wrote:
yea, I am forwarding 80 to the right IP, and yes, the internal router's front-end is sitting on port 80, but I have it turned off from the outside, so in theory it shouldn't interfere with external port 80 request

What router do you have?
  • RMSe17
  • RMSe17

Post 3+ Months Ago

Linksys WRT54G ver 2 using latest firmware
  • BartAfterDark
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • BartAfterDark

Post 3+ Months Ago

well.
I have the same router as you.
And everything works fine.
You sure you forwarded port 80 to your "local" IP ?
  • RMSe17
  • RMSe17

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes, because when I change it to 8080, in apache config and in forwarding table, it works.
  • BartAfterDark
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • BartAfterDark

Post 3+ Months Ago

and remote management is turned off?
  • RMSe17
  • RMSe17

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yep, I tried both off and on with a different port selected...

Could it be ISP issue?

I guess thats rather easy to check, I will just plug my system directly into the wall, register my mac address with the ISP, and then see what happens with port 80.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts