Apache server or website hosting

• mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am running an apache server at my house and I want to have several domains pointing to my server but they are to point to different infromation.

I thought that if website A is abc123.com and it points to folder ggg that is in the hotdocs on my server. website B is xyz123.com points to forlder aaa. but what happens is that when xyz123.com is added to point to my server it defalts to the normal index.html on my server and not to forlder aaa like it is suppose to do.

how can i fix this on my server. I need to host multiple sites and multiple domains on my server.

mtg
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know if you can do that with only one IP address unless there is a way to route it through a second NIC.
  • mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

what if I ran another apache server on the computer that would not be in the same directory would that work?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is that machine behind a router or is it connected directly to the modem?
  • mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

well it was behind a router but I keep loosing the ports on the router so i have connected it to the cable modem directly for now. I would like it eventually to be behind the router if all possible.

mtg
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

My guess is that the only way you can do it with a single IP address is to have 2 NICs in the PC and put it behind a router with some type of route table to route it through the proper NIC. Both NICs would have to have static IP address. Look at the router documentation.
  • mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

okay i am not that far in my programming skills yet and i am planning on taking some courses but how would one go about doing that? I would need a second network card in my computer and then hook that up to a new router since mine can't update the firm ware and then how do I make a table?

Thanks for your help so far. I am just starting to do the programming and networking and database classes this summer. I have been in the artistic side of computers for a long time.

mtg
  • Casey
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Iowa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Multiple separate domains on a single server? You need to set up virtual hosts.

Do a google search for virtual host apache and you'll probably find all the info you need.
  • mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

okay i did a search for the virtual domain apache server and I have tried to read their articles and I am still having problems with it with is code

NameVirtualHost *

<VirtualHost *>
ServerName mtgmarketing.biz
DocumentRoot C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Apache2.2\htdocs\powercall
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *>
ServerName http://www.abc4mlm.com
DocumentRoot C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Apache2.2\htdocs\power_call
</VirtualHost>
can you please give me advise on what i am doing wrong?

mtg

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts