Attn: Mac users. What browser do you use?

• Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

So, I've been looking over my org's web browser and OS stats... I see that over the last 52 million visitors, 80% has been some version of IE (5.5 or 6) and some version of windows. Only 2 million Mac visits and 1 million of those visits were Safari. What is the other 50%? I don't actually have a report that shows Browser by Platform, which is too bad.

This is a IT professional forum, so I would guess most Mac users here use Safari or Mozilla instead of IE. My question really is what browser do most average Mac users use? Safari? My stats would support that... what about the others?

I'm trying to get a handle on Mac browser compatibility. I'm only talking something like 3% of traffic, so focusing on Safari compatibility on the Mac might be good enough for me, especially since that would probably also bring in other Gecko-based browsers too.

Any idea? This is part of a cost benefit analysis... I'm sure on an ethical level, every web developer would say, make everything 100% compatible... of course with one or two day turnaround times on 500 line javascripts and only one person with open time to write it, that's not reasonable... so I'm trying to write some reasonable guidelines that still require some measure of compatibility.

.c
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

Personally, I use Safari for all my own browsing but I have both IE and Firefox installed as well for testing. The mozilla version for mac is called Camino, and is growing in popularity. Hope this helps.
  • mackiller
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use Firefox on EVERY OS

I have it on my keychain for every os

so if it is not on a comp i install it

lol kind of strange considering how i dont get to use linux that much.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

mackiller wrote:
lol kind of strange considering how i dont get to use linux that much.

Image huh?
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

huh indeed...

I think I've figured out a fair proposition. Since Jan 1 2005, my org's site has gotten 53 million visits (non-unique visitors). 82% of those were IE 5.5 or 6 on some version of Windows 98SE or later. Another 5% were on some version of Gecko (Firefox, Netscape, Mozilla).

2.5% (or around 1.2 million visits) were Mac users and about half that number were using Safari.

The problem is, WebTrends doesn't seem to have a report for Browsers by Platform, which is unfortunate, so I can only extrapolate from this that around 700,000 visits out of 52 million were Safari, but I can't make any assumptions about other browser usage on Macs.

Not that it matters that much, really.

The offset sizes between Mac and PC are more or less constant between the Mac Gecko browsers, and since Safari is the king-daddy (with regards to CARE's Mac user visitor-base), the idea will be to require Safari compatibility. In general, this will also mean things will work well enough on Mac Firefox, Netscape and Mozilla (actually, I found Netscape on Mac to be more functional, in terms of JavaScript, than any other of the browsers. It was a bit surprising to me, but oh well). Then, as long as the basic functionality and layout is "good enough" on Mac IE, that will do.

I don't mean to come off like I'm not giving Mac user's their due... it's just that PC-MAC compatibility can be such a nightmare just to please 2.5% of our user-base. If the numbers were higher, I'd certianly require more work on cross-platform testing, but really all we have is an older eMac with OSX... heh, that's all the budget we had for a Mac test machine =]

Anyway, I doubt people much care, but I thought I'd close the loop on this thread anyway. (Not that I'm not traveling as much, I have more time on my hands to think of crap like this... heh)

.c
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

i care! I can tell you from my own experience here, that if you design for firefox well enough, safari 99% of the time will be fine too. ;)
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: places..

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use Safari 2.0 Which Ships With Tiger 10.4 Apple operating Systems quite a while more, as the old safari was indeed slow.

But Overall, I use Camino Alot as its in native cocoa Programming.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

you thought safari was slow? wow never heard anyone say that before, especialy from an apple user. anyway...carry on!
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

the old safari would bleed ram, ( if you ever left it over all nite it would be painful of course, closing and re-opening fixes that.) also had some issues with some websites, and the beach ball syndrome used to happen a bit.

-

/ Side note: Unflux, are you using Tiger or still on panther?
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

beach ball effect? :scratchhead:

nope, still on panther...going to tiger soon.
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

UNFLUX wrote:
beach ball effect? :scratchhead:

nope, still on panther...going to tiger soon.

where the beach ball spins alot.

Oh, When you get tiger, its going to be so sexy. Widget + Spotlight+ automator + 147 other stuff added/ changed.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh...well yes i've noticed that a lot since a couple updates ago with mine. It's quite annoying. I think I'll be ordering Tiger this evening actually.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts