Authoritative Nameserver change

• jakeaust
  • Born
  • Born
  • jakeaust
  • Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello -

I'm trying to switch the authoritative nameservers for my domain from one place to another. I use GoDaddy for domain name registration and I am planning on changing the authoritative nameservers from the current servers (ns1v.datapipe.net and ns2v.datapipe.net) to GoDaddy's nameservers (NS5.SECURESERVER.NET and NS6.SECURESERVER.NET).

I duplicated all the DNS entries from the DataPipe nameservers to the GoDaddy nameservers and am ready to update the authoritative namerservers at the registrar (GoDaddy) to make the GoDaddy nameservers authoritative.

My question is this...

Will my site "go down"? I would think that since the Zone files are ostensibly identical, the propagation time would not matter - since the results of DNS queries should be the same (same IP addresses).

Is that true? Whether the local cached copy at somehost.net will be either the DataPipe version or the GoDaddy version - either way, the IP address mapping is the same.

Is there something I am missing? Or does this make sense that I should see no "downtime" on my URL's?

The domain name is jakesdiner.com
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• rllunzmann
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • rllunzmann
  • Loc: Wisconsin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Jake,

Yes, in any event you are modifying the DNS entries with different IP's (ie: different physical locations), DNS propagation will occur and can possibly take up to 3 days to finish, sometimes sooner though. Their will be downtime during this period. Hope this helps.
  • jakeaust
  • Born
  • Born
  • jakeaust
  • Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I went ahead and did the change last night ataroud 10pm Pacific as I mapped out in my first post.

I didn't see any downtime at my ISP, also the root nameservers were updated almost immediately. DNSreport showed all the new information immediately.

Does anyone else see jakesdiner.com as "down"? It should be a gray page that just says "jakesdiner.com" in the middle.

Also - I still don't understand WHY it would be down, since during the time of propagation, wouldn't the nameservers that hadn't been updated yet just use the old Zone file? If so, they would always be pointing to the right places...

Confused...

Jake
  • rllunzmann
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • rllunzmann
  • Loc: Wisconsin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Jake,

I do see your site. Sorry i missed your point about the IP mapping being the same. The effect should be instant, yes.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts