Backing up website

• axus
  • Born
  • Born
  • axus

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello Everyone.
I am a novice with a problem (haven't we all). I have a website which is hosted by Webscribble. In August their server crashed losing everything. The site has been re-installed but I need to make my own backup in case their server crashes again or if I want to change server companies.
Can anyone tell me how I can download the site to save to a CD in a format that can be uploaded please
Thanks
Keith.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Nem
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Nem
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Would you be able to tell me the control panel you use with your host?

Also if its all non-database content just copy and paste all files on to CD. But if it were emails, databases etc... then control panel information is required before i can answer the question.

Thanks
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

Keith, how are you currently uploading your data to your website?

Another way to backup your website (besides through your ocntrol panel) is through your FTP program, there are great free ones like SmartFTP which you can connect to your hosting and backup your files by right clicking and selecting
Download > Direct > Select Folder

You can save it then onto a file on your computer.
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Michigan, U.S. of eh

Post 3+ Months Ago

axus wrote:
...In August their server crashed losing everything.
In my opinion, any web hosting company that does not run regular backups of it's clients sites, doesn't get my business.

While I do agree that the client should automaticaly make their own backups, for a host NOT to, is totally unacceptable.
  • Mall23
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah, you aught to get a host that does AT LEAST critical failure nightly backups. Most won't backup your HTML/ASP/PHP files for your convient retrieval in case you overwrite something on your computer. But they should all really do failure backups imo.

I went through the same thing last Dec (although they did say they did do nightly mirroring -- ended up that they didn't really). Luckly it was just my sites and no client sites. And, no, am no longer with that host and will never go back, nor recommend anyone to them.

Even with the critical backups, I like to do my own...just in case (as in my experience above). You have to ask them (and probably pay a nominal fee) to back up your databases (unless they are MS Access). Unless you have a dedicated/co-lo server that you can get into and do it yourself.
  • hostingoption
  • Born
  • Born
  • hostingoption

Post 3+ Months Ago

if you are using the cpanel, you can easly find the backup link
  • Bidera
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Bidera

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's scary that a host wasn't running any sort of backup.

You may get by with just using ftp to back everything up for yourself.
  • RandomCl
  • Born
  • Born
  • RandomCl

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,

OutSite-In (http://www.outsite-in.com) is a software that creates web site backups on CD/ DVD/ USB key, very easily. Backups can be consulted offline without installation on a web server.

It is 30-day free trial.

Claudia
  • cpsitesaver.com
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are you using CPanel?

If you are using CPanel, you can easily backup your website with a click of a mouse. This basically downloads your backup files (website files and databases as well as filters and aliases) to your desktop or laptop for archiving.

Once its there on your desktop or laptop, you are pretty safe. But to make it safer, you would really want to save this on another media like DVD or CD.

If you are not using CPanel, ask your host how to manually download your website backup files. Most control panel have this and you just have to find it amongst the buttons available for you.

Hope this helps. :wink:
  • setec
  • Born
  • Born
  • setec

Post 3+ Months Ago

OutSite-In violates MySQL AB Dual Licensing because it contains GPL covered code (MySQL engines) but it's a closed source software and the company doesn't own an OEM license as requested by MySQL Dual License (see http://www.mysql.com/company/legal/licensing/).

Searching on the net there are other better products that does the same, even for free (see http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=web+server+on+cd)
  • Evenhost
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

yea if your using cpanel just use the backup utility
  • articlehorizon.com
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • articlehorizon.com
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does anybody know, if GoDaddy have a backup utility?
  • gu3
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: NCL- England

Post 3+ Months Ago

axus wrote:
Hello Everyone.
I am a novice with a problem (haven't we all). I have a website which is hosted by Webscribble. In August their server crashed losing everything. The site has been re-installed but I need to make my own backup in case their server crashes again or if I want to change server companies.
Can anyone tell me how I can download the site to save to a CD in a format that can be uploaded please
Thanks
Keith.

for a start any good webhosting company should make backups for you. if not they arnt very relible. but if you want to stay with this host and make you rown backups i would sugest setting up an ftp account and donwloading all of the files onto your pc. this way if the server goes down, as soon as it is up again you can upload your files and have the site running again within miniutes if it is only a small site....possible an hour or so if it is very big.
  • RandomCl
  • Born
  • Born
  • RandomCl

Post 3+ Months Ago

OutSite-in is an easy and useful Webmaster tool to help you make web site backups, you can try it for FREE for 30 days: http://www.outsite-in.com/en/download-outsite-in.html

Since the beginning we have been developping OutSite-In in close relation with MySQL and there is no violation of MySQL dual Licensing. I invite you to read the post of Marjorie Toucas, MySQL Corporate Sales Manager on the MySQL website: http://forums.mysql.com/read.php?4,114867,114867 .

I invite you also to read about our special agreement when integrating MySQL commercial licence as an OEM applies: http://www.outsite-in.com/en/outsite-in ... cense.html

Cheers,

Claudia - OutSite-In Team

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts