Beginner to hosting

• Got05096343
  • Born
  • Born
  • Got05096343

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am a 17 year old A-level ICT student looking to set up a web server at home for educational purposes. I have an old PC which I plan to modify for hosting a small site that i have built. Looking for advice on what I am getting into, the costs/effort that might be involved in the project or any thoughts anyone may have.
Would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Nem
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Nem
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

1) Do research on your ISP provider to see if you are allowed to do this type of thing. You will need an IP address which never changes and usually ISP's do not allow their bandwidth being used like this.

2) You are really just wasting your time to be honest with you. To set up a server costs £****+. You will need to learn how to manage a server and look into the type of software you will need for your website. Linux is widely used for servers.

3) Hosting and domains come really cheap these days. Your saving alot of time just ordering it for your websites/projects. Just look up some reviews and take your pick. However since this in itself is a project for you then i would recommend asking your ISP what they can do for you beforehand. Then research on the type of software you will need such as security/OS/control panel etc...

Hope the above helps.

Ps. Concerntrate on your studies and forget about the rest. Your main task for the moment should be getting through A levels and starting University. You could get so much into this project that you will forget about your future.
  • gr8support
  • gr8support

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you want a site for the purpose of education, I would prefer you to register a domain from a good domain registrar and then go for a hosting package that suits your needs and go for that. That would be a good one for you. If you are thinking of setting up you own webserver on your home pc I also have a solution for you. You can purchase and dedicated IP from your ISP and install any good os like linux. As linux is easy to handle and configure most of the webhosting companies have Linux servers, with a simple but useful control panel like Cpanel. It is just fun handling the linux server with a control panel installed on it. Please make sure about the decision on your webserver as you are going to invest something. But preferably you should go for a package with any webhosting company as you can also earn while you spend money. As there are many affiliate schemes available with various companies, search for the best which fulfils your demands.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts