Blocking geographical regions from your site?

• Druid2000
  • Born
  • Born
  • Druid2000

Post 3+ Months Ago

I run an ad on Google and have had a great many clicks from my competitors. Frustrating, because it really eats into your hard earned profits. But, I know where 3 of the 4 of them live. And tonight I discovered Google allows you to exclude geographical regions from viewing your ad. Problem solved!

This is great!

How do they do it?

I have an IP blocker on my site that redirects certain ips and ip ranges when they attempt to visit. But I would love to be able to redirect their geographical region so they could not even see my site.

Does anyone have any idea how Google can block geographical regions?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you heard the phrase "shooting yourself in the foot" ?

That's what you're about to do, but by the time you're done you will have blown off every one of your toes one-by-one and gone through agony in-between each one.

It's going to take all of 24 hours for the attackers to figure out what's going on, and they're going to start doing it through different proxy servers once they figure it out.

Once they move, you're left with a block on a region for no reason at all and now you have to block a new region.

--

What you need to do, since you know where your competitors live and I'm assuming who they are, is report them and everything you know about them to Google. Include as much information about the situation as you can.

Google doesn't take kindly to click fraud.
  • Druid2000
  • Born
  • Born
  • Druid2000

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
Have you heard the phrase "shooting yourself in the foot" ?

That's what you're about to do, but by the time you're done you will have blown off every one of your toes one-by-one and gone through agony in-between each one.

It's going to take all of 24 hours for the attackers to figure out what's going on, and they're going to start doing it through different proxy servers once they figure it out.

Once they move, you're left with a block on a region for no reason at all and now you have to block a new region.

--

What you need to do, since you know where your competitors live and I'm assuming who they are, is report them and everything you know about them to Google. Include as much information about the situation as you can.

Google doesn't take kindly to click fraud.

I don't believe Google will do a whole lot about it unless you can prove it.

I also don't see how they are going to figure it out. It's not as though they won't be busy still clicking on each other's ads.

The only thing that might make them suspicious is if they see their rank show up lower than it appears. But Google only gives an average rank.

Blocking their region I believe is a good strategy. But, if you are right and I am wrong, then all I need to do is take the block off. I don't see where I've really lost that much. But I might gain for the while that they don't figure it out.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts