Buying FTP Server Space Service

• devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

What's the deal with FTP server services? I googled FTP server services and I get companies that "specialize" in FTP servers. The prices seem to be quite different (way more) from if I was just getting some typical server space for a website like at Godaddy and these companies offer upload restrictions like no files over 2GB, bandwidth limits, ftp user limits, and most operate your account out of a sub-domain of their domain like mycompany.ftpservercompany.com.

What would be some reasons why I would go with a dedicated ftp service rather than just getting some unlimited web hosting and my own domain name and just use it as a dedicated ftp server? I wanted to post this cause I'm just really not understanding this ftp service. Am I missing a feature that they offer that a traditional web space would not that would cause these ftp services to be so costly for seeming the same if not worse storage space, bandwidth, and users?
  • paullopez
  • Born
  • Born
  • paullopez

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just purchase a web hosting account and domain name. You will get a free dedicated FTP access to your account. If I am not mistaken, those who are advertising “ Dedicated FTP Service” trying to offer backup space only …
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, but Godaddy specifically with shared hosting does not allow the creation of read-only ftp users. I can at least jail the user to just that directory.

I've been told to drop godaddy and just get a better host that will work with on a more personal level and get that done.

Godaddy really has it's specific uses and using their space for file transferring or a website that needs to send email using php's mail() function are out of the question. I had an email generated from a site that took 35 minutes to reach the inbox. Godaddy said their mail servers are queued and it will get to my email when it gets to my email.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts