Can I run own domain using an interface like from Geocities?

• ccrios
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ccrios
  • Loc: Goodyear, Arizona

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok please help i want to have my own site ie. http://www.myname.com and i want to basically run it like i would a web page like from geocities all i want to do is basically make my changes. ive tried to read alot of the posts under website hosting and sometimes it sounds like this is possible and other times it just get confusing because most of the time you guys are talking way too advanced for me
  • ccrios
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ccrios

Post 3+ Months Ago

also what kind of knowledge do i need to do this
  • tierra
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

just to get an idea up front, how much about web design do you know about?

1. What is HTML?
2. Just some HTML, what's Apache?
3. I'm good with HTML and some Javascript.

it's going to be a long time before you get a site up that can do what your asking even if your in the (3) range. I guessing you don't know much more than (3) according to your post above.

It is possible for a more experienced webmaster to take on such a project, but it's really something to be saved for someone who knows their server side processing technologies like Perl, PHP, possibly some SQL. It can turn out to be a really big project.
  • ccrios
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ccrios

Post 3+ Months Ago

once again im confused. it sounds like from you post you think i want to have my own "geocities", i dont. example - i have a geocities account and all i have to know to have it is how to edit the souce code and geocities takes care of all the technical stuff. this is what i want to be able to do. So basically my question is do i have to know anything about servers or is it possible to qet by without that.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am not entirely sure what you are saying. But I will try.

I think you are saying that you want to have a host for your own domain, but not with geocities. Also you want it to have some kind of control panel so that you do not have to do anything complicated.

If this is what you are saying, all you need to do is find a host that has a control panel like CPanel, which gives you a graphical interface for you to interact with. There are many others besides CPanel, like possibly Ensim Control Panel. I know Ensim allows you to edit web pages right through the interface, as it has an online file manager and editor, but I am not positive with CPanel.

There are tons of hosts out there, so I just recommend you look around for hosts and ask them if they have a control panel from which you can do things and modify web pages within. (Instead of using FTP and such, if you do not want to learn to use that. I highly recommend you learn though, it's not really that complicated and you really can get around much better using it).
  • ccrios
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ccrios

Post 3+ Months Ago

that is exactly what im sayin but is it just that simple. is it as easy as having and maintaining a webpage on geocities or is it more complicated

big if i were to do what you suggested what kind of knowledge would i need would web design be enough or would i need anything else. because i dont wanna jump into this now if i dont know what i need to know if this is still confusing im sorry, i guess i just havent found a way to explain it yet
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

i think i know what you mean, an easy way like that is ok for a little while, but you will realise that you need to get more complicated to make ur site better, but, to acually alter your site like with geocities:
get a package program like dreamweaver. then alter all you want with it and upload ur site to the domain. dreamweaver does just what geocities page builder does, but if u mean u want a control pannel, so u dont have to ftp, then continue using geocities to alter your pages, then when u have altered a page to the way you want it, go to the file manager and copy the html of the page you changed, save it as a text doc and upload it to ur new domain, but change the links the webpages an the pics, i did it for a while until i figured out html a little more
  • ccrios
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ccrios

Post 3+ Months Ago

i already know how to design a website. what my problem is i see a lot of talk about servers, and being that i know nothing about servers this leads me to believe i do not yet have the knowledge i need to procede
  • ccrios
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ccrios

Post 3+ Months Ago

i guess another way to put it would be. i have a angelfire page, i can update it simply by logging in to angelfire and either uploading the new files or by editing them right there on the page. if i got my own domainname would it i be ok with the knowledge i already have or do i need to learn something else before i start. i already know web design if that helps.
  • monster
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Vancouver, BC

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you are not sure about hosting, you should ensure that they have an easy to use Control Panel. We provide some tutorials that show how to use our Control Panel but depending on your host (if geocities is who you choose) try to ensure they have a tutorial and support to help you with getting what you need for your site.
  • Geekette
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: The Land of NeverWinter (FL)

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use <a href="http://www.ipowerweb.com/products/index.html" target="_blank">Ipower Web</a> as a host and they do have a CPanel (along with pretty good rates). It's fairly similar to Geocitie's file manager as it's very easy to find your way around and edit files. Along with that it has a few advanced features that you can work your way up to and great things like the Webalizer where you can view your site's stats!

As great as CPanel is, I strongly recommend that you learn to use an FTP program. There are many things that you cannot do if you don't know how to use one, such as setting up a message board or a blog.
  • tierra
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very nice Geekette! I also use IPowerWeb... I love their service and their rates.

And if you ever run into WazooWeb, STAY AWAY! I had so many problems with them it's not even funny.
  • ccrios
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ccrios

Post 3+ Months Ago

everybody thanx for the help and sorry for the confusion
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

i may be mistaken, but i am now looking for a paid host and just found ipowerweb......does it mean, $20 for domain name then $6.95 for 24 months........is that right, $6.95 for 2 years?

so over all for 2 years it would be a max of $53.90 total?...or was it $6.95 a month for 2 yrs?
  • tierra
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

If and ONLY if you are paying a FULL 2 years worth of hosting up front, coming to $166.88, that gives you your domain name, free setup, and 2 years of hosting (a damn good deal). I personally setup my hosting with 1 full year paid ahead (not that I needed the free domain as I already paid for it, and would rather have my domain through someone else than the host).
  • ccrios
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ccrios

Post 3+ Months Ago

since you mentioned it i might as well ask why would it matter if you had the domain through the host or someone else. whats the difference.
  • tierra
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

It would only be so that if for some reason you wanted to change hosts it would be a lot easier (say you wanted to move it to your own server) than having to deal with the webhost to give you your domain rights.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

exaclty. a lot of people start out buying a domain through a host, and
have it all set up for them automatically with no hassles. The only problem with that is exactly what tierra said, if you decide to change
hosts.

Another issue to consider is the management of the domain itself. The
registrar or NIC. You need to be aware of where it's actually getting
registered so you can have the access required to manage the domain.
Things like your contact info, email address, etc.
  • tierra
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Also, just from personal experience, out of the 5 or so domains I've registered, I've changed hosts at least once with every single one (and in one case, I've changed hosts 3 or 4 times).
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

i can't even count that number of times or the number of domains any
more. It's like an addictions....hehehehe

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 20 posts