Can webhost handle the traffic?

• wmthomas1
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • wmthomas1

Post 3+ Months Ago

I plan on opening a (simple) website for e-commerce. In this type of website will have a hugh peak in sales and traffic in the first week then taper off quickly. There could be as much as 150k hits/transactions per day. My question is, will the webhost be able to handle the traffic? I wouldn't want a situation where a customer couldn't get on or worse. I assume that the webhost will just bill me for extra bandwidth or whatever I'm am taking up. Are there precautions I should take or will things take care of itself?

Bill
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, that''s only going to be able to be answered by your webhost. I suggest you ask them.
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

150k a day sounds like around 1.3 a second, but i doubt it will happen regularly like that.

mate, if you get that many hits, your going to be thrown off the server (if its shared), and that's if its HTML. If there is any PHP or other server side scripting involved you're going to cause most shared servers to crash with that type of traffic. They are also going to be so slow it won't be usable.

I suggest getting a dedicated server and making it fast (IE Dual xeon processors) if you are going to be dealing with that type of traffic. And a server like that costs around $300 a month.

Then again, if you're getting 1.3 transactions a second, you can afford it :lol:
  • wmthomas1
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • wmthomas1

Post 3+ Months Ago

What do you think about going with a host company that offers both a dedicated server and shared hosting. I could start off with the dedicated server and if possible move to the shared host. The reason is I'm going to have this huge traffic for only a few days to one week. Would moving from the dedicated to the shared server be seamless or disruptive?
  • thecodman
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: CT, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You will definately need a dedicated server to start with that kind of traffic. I reccomend you get a dedicated server and a shared server. Start by having the domain setup with the dedicated server, then when the traffic tapers down already have an account with a shared server so you can just redirect the domain. That's just one possible way of doing it. Why the large traffic followed by a sharp decrease?
  • wmthomas1
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • wmthomas1

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's just the type of project. If all goes to plan it will be marketed via controversy through the media. I'm hoping for a backlash. It's really nothing bad. the kick-off will start from a certain radio talk show.
  • Andy Abbott
  • Andy Abbott
  • Loc: London

Post 3+ Months Ago

For the volume of hits/transactions the serious commercial solution is to use multiple servers, the web server effectively becomes a router, routing requests to other servers.

You could get away with having just one server but the development is much more involved.

Essentially, you have to avoid disk access, PHP/ASP/Perl/CGI are out, you have to stick to plain HTML. Databases typically require multiple disk access to perform a transaction so they are out as well. The way to handle transactions is to write a server providing database functionalities. The server has most of the information in memory to reduce disk access.

Cheap if you are good at writing servers.
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
"150k hits/transactions per day"

There is a big difference between hits and transactions. I would be VERY suprised if you get 150,000 actual transactions a day. In fact... I would be willing to bet you that you will NEVER get that many except as a spike due to a specific media event.

Anyway, 150,000 hits is nothing. The org I work for gets an average of 166,158 hits a day, on an average 5,262 visits (these are averages, the actual numbers fluctuate wildly based on a great many factors). Even still, on average, we only get 5 - 10 actual transactions (donations in my case) a day. We push a good 20GB (actually, it usually works out to a little more than that, between 20 and 21 GB) a month.

A site like Amazon.com or Ebay might actually get 150,000 actual transactions a day, but they are HUGE ecommerce players, and they have a brand awareness that no one can come close to. It's very unlikely, no matter what sort of coverage you're expecting, that you'll end up with that many, especially in a sustained manner.

I would suggest that you work with whoever is providing you hosting to make sure they understand what's coming down the pike for you. If you really are expecting a massive response, you will really want a dedicated server. If you are on a shared system, then you better hope the other clients on that box don't have big days too... Either way, if you end up spiking the box, you'll be affecting them too.

If you really think you might be in that area, you should see about a partnership with Amazon. They system can handle anything you could possible bring... And if you're right about the volume, you will be able to afford whatever they want to charge you.... I mean, if you're selling $5 widgets to 150,000 people a day, that's $5,250,000 a week, or $54,750,000 a year... ( :idea: need a business partner? heh)

.c
  • wmthomas1
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • wmthomas1

Post 3+ Months Ago

Those guys that sold the controversial "Bumfights" video sold over 300k videos in the first three days. I checked with a site that provides dedicated servers and they still prohibit sites that may contain content that may be deemed illicit or inappropriate, like sex sites. Although no sex is in my video I still fear I may be kicked off. Now I've learned that if I go with a dedicated server, I have to program everything myself, which means that I have to find a consultant. Any ideas on a dedicated web host that could handle questionable content. I googled "web host, sex" and only found those turnkey type deals.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, whether you go dedicated or get a regular shared hosting account you're going to have to "program" everything yourself with regard to the actual site's programming requirements (store, database, etc.)

The only difference between shared & dedicated hosting is that you have to know how to administrate a Linux system. That's not the same as programming :)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You are still ignoring my initial response. All you will get here is opinions. If you want to know how your "proposed" webhost will respond, and what they will offer in terms of a solution for what you want to do, this is not the place to get an answer. You simply have to find a potential host and ask them. Any opinions you receive here are moot.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts