Can you register a domain before picking the host?

• trenqo
  • trenqo

Post 3+ Months Ago

My concern is that some hosts might not let me use a domain that they did not get - does this issue exist?
Also, my impression was that it would be cheaper to get it all done at once (hosting and domain), at least for some hosts - is this really true?

I want to be sure that I really own the domain, and that it won't be taken away from me or actually owned by the company that theoretically bought it for me. What precautions would I need to take to avoid my domain being stolen? (legally or not)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Liquescence
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Queens, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

You absolutely have the choice to get your domain and host separately. However, some hosts already offer a free domain name when you choose them, so you could do that too.

What exactly do you mean about your domain name being "taken away?"
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting
  • Loc: Wishing I was in Kicking Horse

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Trengo - Your concerns are quite valid.

Many hosts offering a free domain do so in order to "force" you in countinuing to use their services for your hosting.

When purchasing domains - ALWAYS purchase them in your own name. Many of the more reputable hosts offer domain services where the domain name is automatically placed in the name of the customer, vs assigning ownership to themselves. If in doubt, purchase a domain name from a 3rd party, then simply point your nameservers to your host of choice...

Hope this helps....
  • eyell
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You simply have to update your domain name server aka. DNS info.

You can register a name anywhere and host anywhere :)
  • nxb22833
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • nxb22833

Post 3+ Months Ago

I will recomend purchasing your domain name with third parties. Then and only then, change the DNS numbers (which is very easy) and point them towards your host. By doing it this way, they do not have control over that domain name.

There is a couple of parties which are good name registrants. I will recomend the followings:

http://www.godaddy.com
http://www.regfly.com
  • Snerdey
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Brooklyn, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Always buy your domain yourself and keep total control. You can always move your site to another host. But, in some case your domain is included but if you leave.. you loose the domain or you might be able to buy it for a price..

Best,
  • trenqo
  • trenqo

Post 3+ Months Ago

What it seems like I will do for now is buy a domain from godaddy.com and then register a free 100webspace.com account.

However, I'm not entirely sure how this all works. I know I need to pay 7.95 a year to godaddy to keep the domain, but I'm not sure what they actually do for me.

1. Are they in control of the domain name, or is it my property once I've paid (and as long as I continue paying they can't give it to someone else?).

2. 100webspace.com has an option "Use my existing domain" which also says "You must set up our DNSes" (its free). What does this mean? I'll be able to use the godaddy domain, right?

3. It also has an option "Transfer domain name," which costs 20$. Why would I need to do this, if I can use an exiting domain?

4. What exactly does a registrar do? What difference does it make who I use to register (besides price)?

5. Would anyone recommend other companies instead of godaddy or 100webspace ?
  • Snerdey
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Brooklyn, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

trenqo wrote:
What it seems like I will do for now is buy a domain from godaddy.com and then register a free 100webspace.com account.

However, I'm not entirely sure how this all works. I know I need to pay 7.95 a year to godaddy to keep the domain, but I'm not sure what they actually do for me.

They will park the domain name so whois knows who owns it.

1. Are they in control of the domain name, or is it my property once I've paid (and as long as I continue paying they can't give it to someone else?).

As long as you pay.. it's yours

2. 100webspace.com has an option "Use my existing domain" which also says "You must set up our DNSes" (its free). What does this mean? I'll be able to use the godaddy domain, right?

If you use your own domain name, then you log in to your domain name management page and change the "DNS Domain Name Servers" to the new server that holds your website.

3. It also has an option "Transfer domain name," which costs 20$. Why would I need to do this, if I can use an exiting domain?

I guess they want to be the owner of your domain name, and charge you a fee to move it over to the new host from the old host. I could be wrong ?.. hmm

4. What exactly does a registrar do? What difference does it make who I use to register (besides price)?

No, it's just company that maintains domain names. It's your choice

5. Would anyone recommend other companies instead of godaddy or 100webspace ?

[b]Well, I would suggest our partners.. but, it's not cool for me to do that. But your more than welcome to checkout out site and let me know what you think about it.

Good luck and always ask questions if your not sure. It's better than wasting your time or money.

Snerdey
  • kigo
  • kigo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Every body starts off thinking about their domain name before hosting so yes thats what mostly happens. Any host that won't allow you to transfer a domain name should find a new business
  • versatile

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello Trengo,

Sorry for the inconvenience of the PM. Wasn't sure if it was relevant in the forum directly.

As you said, Python Server Side scripting is not very common, therefore it means if you can find a place where they can set it up, it's probably going to be a bit more expensive. I strongly suggest using PHP and MySQL as scripting language and database engine as they are the most commonly used and they are also very well documented (php.net and mysql.com) which means it would be easier to program than using something less common.

As for the support, big hosting companies ( which are very cheap ) uses tickets systems which are answered by support staff who usually know very little about programming or things that does not concern the hosting itself. This is why I would recommend a place where you can establish personal contact with people who can help you develop your site and/or help you with any type of question you may have, regardless of if it has to do with the hosting or with something you're trying to do on your site.

I can maybe be of service in that aspect, I work for HostMeUp.com and I could help you set up and test your site if you sign up with us.

Let me know
Regards

Versatile
http://www.hostmeup.com
  • jnacool
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Some companies who offer free domains to refuse to allow you to take them once you move hosts. These kinda companies are only looking for a quick buck and probebly didnt supply you with a decent service anyway always check the provider and if possible contact them asking about this issue and save it in case of any disputes.
  • thecodman
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: CT, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Even if you trust the host it is usually a good practive to register the domain at a third party. If it's not connected to your host you are free to switch hosts as frequently as you want and without hassle.
  • versatile

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree, you are better off purchasing a domain from a third party. If you do it with your hosting company, make sure that it's done to your name and that you have access to managding it.

Regards
  • trenqo
  • trenqo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the help everyone.

However, some more questions have come up:

1. What are the disadvantages of having the domain be private/unlisted? From what I can gather, this means that the registrar sets the whois info to their own, or to another proxy company. This sounds nice as I will get a lot less spam, but does it also mean that I have less control over the domain, as someone else officially owns it? Is there any disadvantage at all, besides the fact that I have to pay a little more?

2. If I want a bunch of myaddress@mysite.com emails, is that handled by the registrar, or the host?
  • versatile

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Trengo,

It's a matter of having your information available to the bublic or not for your first inquiry.

For your second inquiry, the emails service is provided by the hosting company, not the domain registrar, unless you subscribe to email hosting with them.

Regards
Versatile
http://www.hostmeup.com
  • Taylor Hewitt
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don't ever use a domain name given to you by that host because you don't actually own it. They do. So if you change hosts, bye bye domain name.
  • GimmeMyDomains
  • Student
  • Student
  • GimmeMyDomains

Post 3+ Months Ago

Private registration if you're concerned about your information being available on the WHOIS record.

Definitely get the domain registered in YOUR name.

Register the domain name early to lock it up, then start paying for hosting when you're ready to put the site up. (http://www.shieldhost.com - good and cheap, although I know there are freebies out there)

Hope this helps.
  • Uncensored-Hosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is so true and it saddens me whenever I see a customer suffer through months of grief with a terrible host fearing the loss of their domain if they switch. Many of these hosts are domain name resellers and attempt to impose a fee for release or transfer of the domain name. At least until we intercede. :lol:

CartikaHosting wrote:
Hi Trengo - Your concerns are quite valid.

Many hosts offering a free domain do so in order to "force" you in countinuing to use their services for your hosting.

When purchasing domains - ALWAYS purchase them in your own name. Many of the more reputable hosts offer domain services where the domain name is automatically placed in the name of the customer, vs assigning ownership to themselves. If in doubt, purchase a domain name from a 3rd party, then simply point your nameservers to your host of choice...

Hope this helps....

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 18 posts