"Catch All" Apache config, isn't catchin all...

• camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: San Diego

Post 3+ Months Ago

So on my old server, this configuration catches all websites that don't have virtual hosts. On my new server, is isn't working

Example: http://www.neverbuyalincoln.com is showing /var/www rather than /home/photof/public_html

Code: [ Select ]
<VirtualHost *:80>
  ServerAlias *:80
  DocumentRoot /home/photof/public_html
<Directory "/home/photof/public_html">
allow from all
Options +Indexes
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>
  1. <VirtualHost *:80>
  2.   ServerAlias *:80
  3.   DocumentRoot /home/photof/public_html
  4. <Directory "/home/photof/public_html">
  5. allow from all
  6. Options +Indexes
  7. </Directory>
  8. </VirtualHost>

Thoughts? Where do I start? Hmm...
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Solution:

Give the server a name that is the IP: 67.21.112.158:80, then make a virtual host for that name to catch it back to /var/www.

This seperates domains without a virtualhost going to public_html, and direct calls to the http://67.21.112.158 address
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Would this make it possible for me to register domain names and have your server return content for them ?

I'm wondering if it would be possible to get a prepaid credit card from Walgreens to register domains anonymously, and somehow DMCA bomb your data center and force them to take your server, and subsequently your other sites, offline for a sort of legal-themed DOS attack.
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well there are better ways to take down a server really I think.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Which types of situations generally get resolved quicker for you, technical, or legal ?

I can't remember doing anything that has to do with the legal system that didn't take me at least two days worth of jumping through hoops to get through. That's if I don't have to make any appointments and fit into anyones schedule.
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I guess I'm missing something here...
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh well. Maybe someone else will chime in one day if they understand what I'm talking about. :)
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I believe Joe is saying he can point a domain to your server and some how get it taken down for breaking the DMCA.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not saying I can, I'm wondering if something like it is possible.

Not "a" domain, I'm talking 100 or more domains, which done as .info domains would only cost roughly $100 which is a drop in the bucket if you can knock competition offline that's eating a ~$500 a day piece of the pie.
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh I see.

Well the domain is the problem, not the host. For example, what if I registered those 100 domains, pointed them to a shared server in New York, with the hopes of legal issues etc.

The DCMA can't sue the owner of the service and take out the server. It's the domain that is the problem. How about I register "yahoosucks.com" and point it to Google's ip? Yahoo won't have much of a case against Google, even if Google doesn't host the thing at all.
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Or if I park yahoosucks.com with goole parking service... now they are really hosting it AND it says yahoo sucks. the DCMA can't just force Google offline.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

The domain is the beginning of the problem, once the host acknowledges an affiliation with the domain by returning content for it, the host becomes part of the problem.

As far as Google goes, trademark infringement seems to be a big enough deal that it gets a nice big piece of the Adsense for Domains landing page. They make it pretty clear that they'll stop serving ads on domain names that infringe valid trademarks. I find it hard to believe Google would do this if there weren't some sort of legal trouble they could get into if they didn't do it.

Something to keep in mind here, is that companies the size of Google and Yahoo typically are their own ISP and own their own data centers. If you want to bypass them and go to their provider, who do you go to ? (It really would be interesting to know, and maybe even try it for kicks) In your case, you can be bypassed and the owners of the data center you're in can be contacted.

For the first domain, the data center could probably just drop requests for that domain at the firewall. I don't think they would be too happy if they needed to setup 100 rules in relation to trademark infringement problems for the same server at the firewall though. I'm sure the legal teams would start by going to the registrar on their own, but with a little nudge by an anonymous tip saying "here's the contact details of the data center the server is in and a list of all the trademark infringing domains the server is 'hosting', be sure to contact them too" I could see them contacting the data center owners too, you know how attack dog lawyers are, they go after everyone involved.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts