CentOS. what about it?

• pedrotuga
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, i first heard about this linux just a few weeks ago.

Trying not to make this a "wich linux distro..." thread i would like somebody to tell me stuff about this centos linux.

I've just seted up a server qith an ooooooooold computer. It will have php/mysql aplication for timeteble assignemt at my university. I used debian (ubuntu) for no particular reason - i would say it was the first one commming up, and i dont think it would mater so much for the case wich distro to install.
Anyway, i don't have at all a deep knowledge on linux distros. From what i tryed i think gentoo is the one gives you the most from your computer, so i think it should be the best fr any critical usage. But know everybody is talking about this CentOS one.

What are its main advantages/disadvantages?
What is it sutes for?
Is it cool as gentoo?

BTW, just to make shure i wont have troubles...
A web aplication that conects at the very very most, lets say...20 users at a time to a mysql database of lets say 10MB, can run on basically any distros without any big diference in the performance right?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Uncensored-Hosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

The OS is the least of your concerns regarding users connecting to your database. Memory, CPU and network are more critical factors. CentOs is the equivalent of RedHAT linux minus the End of Life (EOL) issues.
  • JodoHost
  • Born
  • Born

Post 3+ Months Ago

We have recently started using CentOS. Since we used it, our freeVPS implmentation has become much more stable. Our current dedicated database server also uses CentOS running MySQL and PgSQL.
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting
  • Loc: Wishing I was in Kicking Horse

Post 3+ Months Ago

We've been running CentOS on all servers in our cluster (except windows boxes of course) and almost all client servers - been quite stable and reliable.

ps - Hi Jodo (Yash I pressume) and welcome to Ozzu :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts