change from members.aol.com to my own domain name?

• Tone2k11
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Tone2k11
  • Loc: Southampton - UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi im looking for a bit of advise.

I am a AOL member. And have made a website which is now hosted on AOL's "www.members.aol.com", is there a way that i can change my "members.aol.com" domain but keep aol as my host?

I dont really want to pay out for webhosting when i get by OK on AOL.

It would save a lot of money if this was possible. I use Netobjects Fusion to my build my site i dont know whether that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance

[blur]Tone[/blur]
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

The short answer is, not really.

The longer answer is, well... perhaps, but it would be a ton of work.

The dependencies include the following;
Your own DNS, or the use of a free DNS resolver host
Your own webserver
A cable modem or DSL -- a very good friend with broadband connectivity

Set up DNS using a static -- or very robust non static IP. You could use the updater-resolvers such as myserver.org -- but that, much like this whole thing, is a kludge.

You point your port 80/443 requests for the domain to your own webserver -- these two functions can be stacked, though I don't really recommend it.

You ProxyPass your requests for your local documents to your AOL hosted URI.

All in all, unless you get off on making things work and then the time it will take you to manage that resource including the pounding you will take from script-kiddies, you are much better off just paying the minute amounts people are charging for hosting around here. Some of these folks have services with not only would let you continue using your html generator software -- ack -- but also provide you with a great deal more applications for future enhancement.

Lets forget for a moment that AOL does track usage to member websites and in their "Terms of Service" agreement state, rather emphatically, that they may at any time throttle your usage.

I think I would rather pay the 5-10 bucks a month or less.

Cheers.
  • David
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • David

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,

A friend once wanted to do this with his webspace becuase he'd already stored what he wanted on AOL's servers.
He phoned AOL and they arranged him some DNS details from another provider. It can happen thoing a friend did.

Phone AOL,

You might just have a chance.

David.
  • Tone2k11
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Tone2k11
  • Loc: Southampton - UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok thanks i think i will do that, although i am thinking about paying for hosting, aol do everything the hard way!

Thanks

Tone
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

David wrote:
Hello,

A friend once wanted to do this with his webspace becuase he'd already stored what he wanted on AOL's servers.
He phoned AOL and they arranged him some DNS details from another provider. It can happen thoing a friend did.

Phone AOL,

You might just have a chance.

Hmm. I sincerely doubt AOL would do anything out of the goodness of their heart, much less permit you to use personal web space in such a manner. I could be off the mark, but I doubt it.

You are much better off talking to some of the hosting folks around here and finding one that suits your needs.

Cheers.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts