Changing Hosting Company

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am looking to change my hosting company after being with them for the last year as i fancy trying out another company.

Because i have never actually changed hosting companies before i am a bit uncertain as to what i should look at before during and after i make the change. Obviously if i want to keep my current site then i will need to backup my page data and then when the new hosting package is up and running it is a case of copying all the files related to the site there.

It is not preferred, but ideally i would like to be able to change my hosting from one company to another within an hour or so, but the way i look at it right now is if i wan't my hosting to continue but with a different company i am going to have to give this other company several hours (up to a day or so maybe) to acknowledge my domain name etc as they won't be able to use this domain name while there is a previous hosting company in charge...i think.

Is it possible for someone to run through the basics of what to expect when changing hosting company? or any other information that might be of use to me?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• jnacool
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

It's quite an easy process, it takes between 1 and 24 hours hours (in the uk at least) for the nameservers to resolve, but as long as you keep your old site online during this time and don't do any updates you should have no problems. You can change them from your domain control panel. Thats the longest wait as long as the hosting company you are moving to over instant activation. If you contact your new host they should be able to transfer the site for you, I also recommend that you make sure you have all your files backed up and that includes email if you use IMAP, since once you cancel its likely that your current hosts will lock you out from the account pretty quickly.

If you haven't found a host send me a PM I won't post links on here though.

Good luck with your new site.

Jack
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you.

I had the impression it might be easy, and i know roughly how to do it but knowing me there was always going to be something that i would ignore until the reality of it actually struck me too late.

I have an idea on the hosting company i was looking at, although if you are willing to link some to me that offer a good service and price then i would not say "no".

I do actually need to communicate with my hosting company about my email service, i believe it should still be available for another several months although i would have assumed that would be removed at the time of my hosting.

Once again, thanks for the reply jnacool!
  • Muhammad Asad
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Muhammad Asad
  • Loc: Pakistan

Post 3+ Months Ago

While changing your hosting company, you first should make a back-up of your site if you haven't have it before. After that you need to upload the content to new host's servers via cpanel or ftp and then just change ur domain name servers. Its not difficult but can take 24 hours. So, it is better to transfer your site data from one place to other place, then rename servers and then leave the previous hosting!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts