Changing Servers

• GrimShadow
  • GrimShadow
  • Loc: Chandler, Oklahoma

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm currently using a server at serverbeach and am looking for another place to go with. I'm looking at somewhere in the $60-$80 range. I've come across a few; 1and1, managed.com, server4you. Currently we use about 100GB of bandwidth.

We are putting a few plans in the works, email options, image hosting, gaming ladders for multiple games. We have a staff of a few programmers that constantly make new programs for games, as well as game mods. Some of them are going to get bigger than just a MB or two, so we'll need a decent amount of disk space (40GB and up) and are looking for no less than 400GB bandwidth. Something else I'm looking for is the ability to upgrade (hard drives and ram)

The one site I'm interested in (that I've come across) is managed.com. They seem to have a pretty good deal going on (they also except paypal). I do notice that they do not preinstall any software though. So I'd have to manually install Apache, PHP, MySQL, etc. That is a reason I am looking at server4you.

The problem with server4you is that they do not seem to have any available hardware upgrades, leaving me with only a single hard drive and no other for backups.

1and1 seemed like a good place, but I've been hearing a few bad things about their support and uptime. I've also heard that they only accept credit cards and not debt cards. Which would cancel them out for me.

Does anyone have any experience with server4you, 1and1, or managed.com. Or any suggestions for other hosts.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Given your use --have you ever thought about hosting your own? It may save you money in the long run.
  • GrimShadow
  • GrimShadow

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've always wanted to. But given the fact that there is only two available internet connections up here, dialup which runs at about 4.6k to 9.6k (as opposed to 56k), and satellite which has an extremely low connection speed (sometimes takes up to 2-3 minutes just to start retreiving data from a website) and has about 5 hours of downtime a week as well as about 20 hours of slowdown.
  • GrimShadow
  • GrimShadow

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was just offered a custom plan from http://www.nocster.net:
PU: Intel Celeron 1.7GHZ
Memory: 512MB DDR RAM
Hard Drive: (2)20GB IDE
Bandwidth: 500GB/MONTH
IP Addresses: 5
Port: 10/100MBPS SWITCHED VLAN
Management: BASIC MANAGED
CPanel/WHM
Price: $79.90 a month

Is nocster generally refered to as a good company?
  • rDolay
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • rDolay

Post 3+ Months Ago

there is 2 datacenters that i absolutely say the bests!
I have tried 6 dedicated provider (managed.com, ev1servers.net, nocster.com , servermatrix.com , valueweb.com, ait.com :evil: )
the worst is ait.com, i get crazy when see/heard their name , they setup your server at least 15days :x , also managed.com is very slow to setup and support, ev1 is expensive and had downtimes from their owners changed,

Choose servermatrix.com or valueweb.com , they are the bests!
  • rDolay
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • rDolay

Post 3+ Months Ago

GrimShadow wrote:
I was just offered a custom plan from http://www.nocster.net:
PU: Intel Celeron 1.7GHZ
Memory: 512MB DDR RAM
Hard Drive: (2)20GB IDE
Bandwidth: 500GB/MONTH
IP Addresses: 5
Port: 10/100MBPS SWITCHED VLAN
Management: BASIC MANAGED
CPanel/WHM
Price: $79.90 a month

Is nocster generally refered to as a good company?

Yes they are reliable but have sometimes huge DDOS attacks which causes reliable relays too.
  • virtualwebc
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

My company can help you with your hosting for around the same price. If you would like to talk more about that you can PM me or we can exchange emails. You can use the address in my signiture. Just mention this post.

Also have you ever thought about a dedicated server?
For what it seems like you are doing I think it may be well worth the money if you cant do it yourself.
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

A dedicated server sounds suitable 4 u but maybe, its not within yr price range?
my friend happens to bought a new dedicated server recently and he may be able to help out.
PM me if u are interested, else i will save my effort in asking him abt it :-)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts