Cheap Hosting? <£25/y, >100mb, good bandwidth? + an I

• Sheepy
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Sheepy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Allo :)

Just want to know if anyone knows of a good hosting package for a personal site (but with decent storage and bandwidth too).

Needs to be Around the £20-30, cheaper wouldnt go amiss :P
Around 100mb and 1gb or more bandwidth (i dont know how quick my bandwidth is gonna be drained, might not be enough?).

Best I have found so far is a company called StreamlineNet. Found them on google, in the special featured results that appear right at the top so I guess that says they arent a pissy little company?

These are their packages http://www.streamlinenet.co.uk/wh.php - I was looking at the Power User Package, 100mb and unrestricted bandwidth package for £24 a year if u pay for two years. Comes with free .co.uk domain too.
Is this the best im going to find?

Also... the next package up makes me think... The Unlimited User package, £34 a year if you pay for two years with UNLIMITED space and UNLIMITED BANDWIDTH! Whats to stop a few/group of people getting together and each having their website in directories in wherever? Is there anything stopping them absoloutly raping the service?

3 people, thats just £11.50 a year, for unlimited space and bandwidth?
Ofcourse youd have to buy your own domain name to point to your indivdual directory in the space. No?

What do you guys think?
  • fawh
  • Student
  • Student
  • fawh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Be careful with web hosts that make unlimited offers. It's impossible to offer unlimited disk space or data transfer. Often times, these companies will have something in their "Terms Page" stating they will take action if a website is using a lot of resources like steamlinenet.co.uk does in theirs.

Quote:
UNLIMITED USE POLICY:
High bandwidth usage: StreamlineNet offers an unlimited use policy by maintaining very large ratios of bandwidth per customer. In rare cases, StreamlineNet may find a customer to be using server resources to such an extent that he or she may jeopardize server performance and resources for other customers. In such instances, StreamlineNet reserves the right to impose the High Resource User Policy for the consideration of all customers

Quote:
HIGH RESOURCE USER POLICY:
- Resources are defined as bandwidth and/or processor utilization.
- StreamlineNet may implement the following policy to its sole discretion: When a website is found to be monopolising the resources available StreamlineNet reserves the right to suspend that site immediately.
  • Sheepy
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Sheepy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah I thought that but im not talking hosting DVDs and such and having a 1000 people download them every month, that is definately excessive :P

But looking at the package down from the unlimited, 100mb of space for £24 a year. If for example just 3 people shared the Unlimited package, thats £11.50 a year and they could probably get away with using 500mb of space? Im not expecting to use 500mb myself or have thousands of visitors to my site every day either, but i just like value for money, even if im not going to use it :P
  • Sheepy
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Sheepy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Registering on your forum now Meisam :)

Thanks for offering a free hosting service, it will be a good place to start for my site and if popularity increases (unlikely but hey) i might just upgrade to something better with u.

Oh, how do i go about earning 40 points to qualify for hosting?

Thanks,
~Sheepy
  • meisam
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Richmond, BC

Post 3+ Months Ago

just keep on posting, you will get the points
  • kylebacc
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • kylebacc
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

From my personal expirence, NEVER go with a host that offers unlimited space or bandwidth. I tried a few companies (when I bought hosting) that offered it and it was always bad quality. It can sometimes be worth paying a little extra for more quality. But yea, go try some free hosting for now...if the site catches on, then look into paying for hosting.
  • meisam
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Richmond, BC

Post 3+ Months Ago

actuall there is no such thing as unlimited space or bandwidth there is a limit and someone has to ay for it all
  • fawh
  • Student
  • Student
  • fawh

Post 3+ Months Ago

meisam wrote:
actuall there is no such thing as unlimited space or bandwidth

You're right. There isn't.
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting
  • Loc: Wishing I was in Kicking Horse

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,

Thought Id pipe in with my $0.02. There are many many reputable hosts that can provide what you require within your budget. My advise is the same as the others here - avoid any host that offers an unlimited package.

By definition they are oversold with 1 customer - which is a scary thing. Hosting with a company that has such a flagrant disregard for capacity limits, etc, can only lead to problems. You can be assured that they have packed 100's of accounts on those servers well above and beyound the normal servers capacity.

Their "HIGH RESOURCE USER POLICY: " is basically there so that when the server is crashing, they can randomly remove as many accounts as they need to in order to restore stability - basically, they will sort their customers by resource utilization (usually bandwith - because bandwith acts as a good general indication) - then start removing accounts until stability is returned. The accounts which were removed will then receive an email saying - your account is one of the 0.1% that exceed our "HIGH RESOURCE USER POLICY: " - therefore, in order to restore service, please upgrade to this new plan - which will essentially cost you 100-200% more then the industry average.

[rant]

Several things really bother me about this business strategy - including the number of consumers that get taken, etc..

However what really makes me wonder about this strategy is what the heck are they thinking?? This strategy essentially isolates and penalizes your biggest customers - you are counting on 99% of your customer sites never growing or using any resources - and the 1% that do - you try to hose them...

[/rant]
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah these guys do oversell. It happens a lot in web hsoting industry. Especially with some of the big guys, my experience with overselling was with GLobat. It became drastically slow when loading pages.. It sucks when you are paying for something that couldnt work properly.,
  • BSindia
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • BSindia
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hosting with the overselling company will create problem in your site, it will take long time to open a page and lot many disadvantages are there.
  • Uncensored-Hosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's really quite simple they don't want customers who will grow. They only want those websites which will never grow beyond 250MB/5GB. Targeting these sites allow them to host hundreds of sites on a cheap server without noticeable performance degradation. It also mitigates their support costs as these sites are seldom updated by their respective webmasters. Thus they have no problem dumping those customers who do not fit their target model.

CartikaHosting wrote:
[rant]

Several things really bother me about this business strategy - including the number of consumers that get taken, etc..

However what really makes me wonder about this strategy is what the heck are they thinking?? This strategy essentially isolates and penalizes your biggest customers - you are counting on 99% of your customer sites never growing or using any resources - and the 1% that do - you try to hose them...

[/rant]
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting
  • Loc: Wishing I was in Kicking Horse

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
It's really quite simple they don't want customers who will grow.

Exactly - thats what baffles me the most - Simply put, I want customers that depend on their websites and grow - from these customers comes growth - not only of their particular plans (small to medium to large to dedicated) - but also net new business... The best source of referrals is from someone who is in the "industry" and is happy..

To each their own I guess :)
  • eyell
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I always have and always will recommend http://www.LessHost.com :D
  • raybman
  • Loc: Los Angeles, California

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you are OK with an American host...
I have used http://www.totalchoicehosting.com/ for a couple of years now, and have been completely satisfied.

Great uptime and customer service, and very reasonable rates.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

raybman - please read our posting rules in the Announcements board and reduce your signature to two links max. Thanks.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts