cheap servers

• games_master
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • games_master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all,
i dont know egsactly wer to post this post so i put it here.
Anyone know wer to buy a cheap server in the uk (web site), or a second hand one?
Thanks, :D
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

*this should be in the website hosting forum*

do a search of the forums...

I am sure you will find what you are looking for
  • games_master
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • games_master

Post 3+ Months Ago

na iv looked all i can find is dedicated servers, i need a server
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

u trying to tell me that out of 205 topics and 1488 posts there is nothing there related to webhosting?
  • games_master
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • games_master

Post 3+ Months Ago

no i need a SERVER not hosting
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

right...
Quote:
Anyone know wer to buy a cheap server in the uk (web site), or a second hand one?

so u want a server for webhosting?...

or webspace lol
  • games_master
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • games_master

Post 3+ Months Ago

ye a server like a SUN server or DELL, not a dedicated server.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well there are a lot of good servers out there, and the market is really cheap. I see some decent ones that cost about the same as a good gaming machine. I would say that a sun server may have better security. someone else might now more about that one.

Are you planning on running a server from home/office? what kind of bandwith are you working with?
  • games_master
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • games_master

Post 3+ Months Ago

home, and the reason im looking for a CHEAP server i cus im 14 and as u would know my pocketmoney only comes to £13.50 a week.
so i wouldent mind a cheap server second hand or something, preferd flat not big and chunky.
  • games_master
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • games_master

Post 3+ Months Ago

and ill need quite a bit of bandwidth like emmm...... 120GB or so.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

yikes, Im not sure that you could do that from home with the kind of money your looking at....even if you had a t3+ connection it still may not be enough bandwith to run a web server from home.

I think your best bet would be just to get a dedicated server at a hosting company....which is expensive as well
  • games_master
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • games_master

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok less bandwidth 70GB still dont know
  • games_master
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • games_master

Post 3+ Months Ago

and aswell if i get a cheap server i can get my mum pay for it and ill pay her back in my own tim ;)
  • Uzzo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Uzzo
  • Loc: London

Post 3+ Months Ago

youre 14?

I didnt even know what a pc was when i was 14 and you want a server ! (Looks shocked)
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

what will you be using the server for?
  • games_master
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • games_master

Post 3+ Months Ago

hosting, my own site etc. cus at the moment iv only got a reseller. and Uzzo, everyone knows wot a pc is, but not wot a server is. but still anyone know wer to get one?
  • biotech
  • biotech
  • Loc: Wales

Post 3+ Months Ago

well if you got a pc get broadband upgrade your pc with alot of memory and turn it into a server. But Resellers are just as good as any thing.
  • games_master
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • games_master

Post 3+ Months Ago

how?
  • games_master
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • games_master

Post 3+ Months Ago

how can i make my pc into a server?
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Install server software
  • joker
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • joker

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Install server software

It's not enough at all. You'll need high speed internet connection with static IPs, server managing skills and so on. So, it's better and cheaper to rent dedicated server or web hosting services from web host rather than to make server from you home PC.
  • discountdomains
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • discountdomains
  • Loc: Telford UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would start cheap.

Use your current PC as a server, and get ADSL (Broadband) that way you can have a permanent connection.

You can get a website up and live using MS Frontpage and IIS (which comes free with Frontpage as an add in )

BT Broadband is about £20 per month, but you'll save on dial up.

Most Domain name companies like my own, let you use IP pointing to connect an IP address to a domain name, so you can get going with a site etc.

If your set on a server, then there are lots of computer fairs that go around the country, we have one in Telford about once every 2 months.

Clare
  • darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Riverdale, MD

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've run a lot of servers... i'm just now 15. Heck, got an old dell 4100/200 that I'm playing with. The bottom line is, with that amount of money, unless you are able to host it over your current internet connection (not likely) you are prob. out of luck except to look for a hosting provider, (not dedicated). May I ask why you are set on getting your own server? If it's just to play around with, then get a normal computer and install everything on it and you can tinker forever. This would be fine on a home connection as it doesn't require anything. When they asked what kind of bandwidth you were working with, they meant how much at a given time i.e. 5mbps 10mbps etc. A typical DSL home connection is only 128kbps uplink which is enough for a very small site (withe very few visitors) or a test server. If I can get this hosting thing up and get enough people to join, I'd give you an account for free with plenty of bandwidth and space, help me build up people and, you're guaranteed that as soon as I'm up, you just have to refer and remind. I know what position you're in as I have been in a similar one. It's a lot of fun to just mess around with servers, as they have a lot of cool stuff which, can be done on a home connection, however, if you're hosting something, something that will get visitors, I would definitely say you need to look into web hosting which can be as little as $5 a month these days for a fairly good set of features even.
  • letsjoy
  • letsjoy

Post 3+ Months Ago

not sure abt uk but see this serverpronto.com
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

<soapbox>

Anyone who attempts to run a business hosting unit off of home-based DSL broadband should have their collective heads examined, provided they can be easily extracted from their backsides.

With the advent of reseller programs, why would ANYONE try to jerry-rig up such a menagerie off a home connection? It's ridiculous.

They have professionals out there that are selling hosting for as little as $4 a month; this includes panels with easily installed application-ware, SQL databases, hundreds if not unlimited email accounts, mailing lists -- truly a litany of value-adds.

Not to mention, you now have the responsibility to maintain the server(s) that your customers run on -- do you think that is just a 1 hour a day gig? This is why there are people out that who make 6 figure salaries.
You have to maintain the OS to include all applicable patch levels -- which means researching each one to determine if it is worth the downtime (part of your SLA) to install, application levels, backups, bottlenecks, routing efficiency, security logs with data correlation.

If you want to host your own little "Look at me" page on the internet, and your TOS from the cable company or DSL provider does not object -- fine.
Don't run a business from there; you are doomed to failure and possible lawsuits from disgruntled customers who won't care that you're a kid. Off load that responsibility to resellers, let them take the brunt of the work -- that's what they do.

</soapbox>
  • gu3
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: NCL- England

Post 3+ Months Ago

if u are wanting a server to run a website why buy a server when u can get a cheap host? what the point in wasting your money.
  • Electric-Spirit
  • Electric-Spirit

Post 3+ Months Ago

games_master wrote:
home, and the reason im looking for a CHEAP server i cus im 14 and as u would know my pocketmoney only comes to £13.50 a week.
so i wouldent mind a cheap server second hand or something, preferd flat not big and chunky.

£13.50?

thats more than i get, more than i ever got lol i could do a lot with £13.50 a week if i put my mind to it. *drools at the idea of having reseller account again*
  • hostechsupport
  • hostechsupport

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,

I reccomend something from http://www.49pence.com

Dell Poweredge
Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz Dual Core
512MB DDR2 ECC SDRAM
80GB 7200RPM SATA Drive
3000GB Monthly Bandwidth
8 IP's
100Mbit Port
Choice of Debian, CentOS, Fedora, Redhat, Windows 2003 Server

512MB Additional RAM - £10/Month

£69/Month + £0 Setup.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

No offence but your 14 ... go out and discover girls tbh .
  • boilingpoint
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Daemonguy has given your a very reasonable answer, spare yourself and your customers a lot of headache, you could get a decent resellers for £13.50 a month, and have put up some money to upgrade a dedicated.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 30 posts